PDA

View Full Version : Scratch X Review

mcmmotorsports
11-06-2005, 02:24 PM
In past attempts with this product, I would say it was less than desirable. In fact, I have bought it 3 times and returned it twice. This last time I have decided to keep it and probably have used up the whole tube. A little insight on my problem. I have an `04 Mustang GT with swirls and scratches due to my stupidity. I learned from my mistakes and now it is time to move on. So, I try the usual hand applied stuff and no luck. I purchased a Rotary from Harbor Freight and proceed with the usual recommended stuff like:

3M Perfect II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound and 3M Swirl Mark Remover and not happy with the results. I search the forums here and find out that the ScratchX instructions can be a little misleading, so I go to their website and read the instructions about working it in, not like a wax. This morning, I tried it on my wifes car using my Rotary Buffer and a NAPA yellow foam polishing pad. I worked the stuff in until it disapeared using the buffer. It took the scratches out of her car like they were never ever there! Needless to say, she came out and told me that I had to do her whole car, not just one panel. :doh

Anyway, after I got done with her car, using Meguiars NXT spray detailer to remove the residue as I went along, I tried it on my front fender on the Stang. HOLY CRAP!!

FINALLY!! I GOT RID OF MY SWIRLS AND SCRATCHES!!

I do see very, very fine pits or spots in the paint and I mean very fine, you have to be millimeters away to see it. BUT NO MORE SWIRLS AND SCRATCHES.

I will wait until next weekend to do the rest of the car, but it worked out pretty good.

So, BIG thumbs up to Meguiars for once again offering a Kick ArSE product.

Anyone have an idea what the little itty bitty pit marks are?

Sorry for no pics, but I only have a 2.1 MP camera and it wouldn`t have picked up on the scratches BUT, I do have a pic from yesterdays car show that I took first place in. Just imaging the reaction if the car would have REALLY been detailed. :buffing:

http://www.mcmmotorsports.com/carshowwin.jpg

Mad iX
11-06-2005, 03:34 PM
ScratchX w/ Rotary?

It doesn`t even sound like you should be using a rotary at all.

Sounds like you did good, though.

Car looks very nice from what I can see.

Neo62381
11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Scratch X........Rotary.....That sounds really abrasive, looks good tho. Where In NC are you located?

mcmmotorsports
11-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Scratch X........Rotary.......Um.....Just how much clear coat did you remove

I thought Scratch X was not as aggressive as lets say, 3M Perfect it II Fine Cut Rubbing compound and the Meguiars #2 Fine Cut Cleaner. I mean crap, if I did something terribly wrong I will stop before I continue. I have only done the fender on my Mustang and it came out great. There are still some fine scratches there, but I can live with those because they can only be noticed by me. Maybe a better bet is to just carry my car to a professional and let them do it once and I will maintain it. I may be a novice with a rotary, but I am not an idiot and I was extremely careful with what I was doing. I kept the machine moving, kept the product on the surface and the paint was never warm to the touch when I completed. Again, all I did was the fender, but I guess I will not continue. Anyone wanna buy a Chicago Electric Polisher? Used only once. :nervous:

mcmmotorsports
11-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Do you guys think I could get the same results from Scratch X by hand if I REALLY, REALLY work it?

It seems that is the only way I could get it to work.

CTDiesel
11-06-2005, 04:56 PM
I too, didn`t think ScratchX and rotary was good combination; but why argue with success?

JeffM
11-06-2005, 05:18 PM
The fellas over at megs online will be able to tell you more about using scratchX and a machine, but from my memory, it gums up and isnt made for machine use.

There are a multitude of products for a rotary, really would be better to get one made for it.

BTW i really like them rims :)

Neo62381
11-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I`ve tried Scratch X by hand, and at least to me it seemed to take out swirls and scratches rather quickly, which is why I was apprehensive about using it with a rotary. I know that it was designed for use by hand, and that whn I tried it by PC it seemed to gum up a bit, there are a few that have used Scratch X by PC and had good results. Please excuse my rude-@$$ post, I thought it was rather harsh which is why I changed it. At the time I was just in the mindset ofthinking that wasn`t a good combo.

mcmmotorsports
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Please excuse my rude-@$$ post, I thought it was rather harsh which is why I changed it. At the time I was just in the mindset ofthinking that wasn`t a good combo.

Actually I was more taken back by the first reply:

It doesn`t even sound like you should be using a rotary at all.

Anyways, no problem guys. As far as the guming up, a little NXT QD helped that out BIG TIME!

I am in the process of posting this over at Meguiars so we shall see their take.

I still can`t say this was a good combination, it just kinda worked for me.

BTW, I live in Eastern North Carolina, near Greenville,NC

Alfisti
11-06-2005, 06:08 PM
mcmmotorsports, the only issue about ScratchX and machine application has been about product gumming up, not safety.

ScratchX is meant for hand application and breaks down extremely fast by hand, so it`s safe for machine use. If you`re happy with the gumming up issues then keep using it.

I`d suggest using a dedicated machine polish like MPP or OP. This will save you money and make polishing easier for you.

mcmmotorsports
11-06-2005, 06:17 PM
mcmmotorsports, the only issue about ScratchX and machine application has been about product gumming up, not safety.

ScratchX is meant for hand application and breaks down extremely fast by hand, so it`s safe for machine use. If you`re happy with the gumming up issues then keep using it.

I`d suggest using a dedicated machine polish like MPP or OP. This will save you money and make polishing easier for you.

First off, WHEW, that is a relief. With the way everyone was talking, I thought I took 5 years off the life of my clear on my LF Fender. Gumming up was an inconvenience, but the result was worth it, especially after failing so many other times and wasting money on other products that never got me the results I was looking for. (sorry for the run on sentence)

I looked at the Autopia Acronyms and did not see a MPP or OP. What are those?

Thanks

Michael

Alfisti
11-06-2005, 07:23 PM
MPP = Mothers Power Polish

OP = Optimum Polish

I`ve only tried MPP and find it the easiest polish I`ve ever used...one the new generation polishes that doesn`t dust and leaves a great finish, even with aggressive pad. OP sounds very similar and is highly regarded on this board.

mcmmotorsports
11-07-2005, 01:04 AM
K, thank you