PDA

View Full Version : My First Detailing Job

Pages : [1] 2

TwoStroke
11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I`m thinking this might be "click and brag" but I got all my advice here so I`d like to share this with you all.

After a lot of reading and some excellent advice from this forum, I just finished my first detailing job. It`s nothing spectacular, but I am completely knackered! It took about 5 hours. Here is what I did:

Wash with Maguires NXT

Clay

Wash with Maguires NXT

Klasse AIO

Klasse SG

The only down side is that it was dusk by the time I got done, so there wasnt a lot of light to show off the reflection... oh well.

This is a 2006 Lexus IS 350. I got it from the dealer without being detailed/swirled. It has been raining so it was pretty dirty to start. Obviously I can`t take credit for the finish as it is brand new.

Here goes:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/OneHump/110505011.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/OneHump/110505007.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/OneHump/110505010.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/OneHump/110505012.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/OneHump/110505006.jpg

The brakes rusted while I was detailing! :nervous:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/OneHump/110505020.jpg

imported_Picus
11-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Ah, there is the process. Are you going to top SG with anything or just keep layering it?

Beautiful job, btw - that`s some liquid-y silver. :)

TwoStroke
11-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks Picus. :) I need to go back and take a look at the tires. I did a crap job there. It`s hard to get inside all the lettering.

I was going to put another layer of SG on, but I`m open to suggestions.

BigAl3
11-05-2005, 08:57 PM
congrats on the new ride, very nice. :)

imported_Picus
11-05-2005, 09:06 PM

Ya, definitely put another layer on. it looks great. You know how we are here though, always trying new things - so I just wondered if you had been bitten by the bug and had a bunch of products you were waiting to try. :)

TwoStroke
11-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks imacarnut. :)

I think I`ve probably got a bug. I don`t have any new products because I`m really new at this and just taking baby steps at the moment. What sort of things would I top SG with? I understand that Carnuba doesnt mix well with SG.

I`m pretty sore though, and about $400 poorer. This is a little harder than the average hobby. :)

HomicidalSloth
11-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks imacarnut. :)

I think I`ve probably got a bug. I don`t have any new products because I`m really new at this and just taking baby steps at the moment. What sort of things would I top SG with? I understand that Carnuba doesnt mix well with SG.

I`m pretty sore though, and about $400 poorer. This is a little harder than the average hobby. :)

Well, SG and Caranuba mix great, but you have to do them right. You need to start with SG, and keep layering it. SG needs to be applied to fresh paint (ie, no carnubas), and no carnubas should be applied while you are layering SG. I usually do around 3 or 4 coats of SG, allowing a bare minimum of 24 hours of cure time between each coat (you definitely need to let them cure before adding more).

Then, once you are done with the final coat of SG, and won`t be adding more, allow it to totally cure (24 hours bare minimum, though I personally wait much longer. I allow at least 3 days, usually a week), and top it with the carnuba.

The carnuba at the end is what`s known as an LSP (last step product), and will finish off the paint nicely and give it a rich, warm glow.

TwoStroke
11-06-2005, 08:41 AM
That`s great advice, thanks. One thing that still eludes me is how I layer SG. Can I drive around and let the car get dirty, wash it, then apply another layer of SG?

Also, I removed my first layer of SG with a Sonus Polishing towel. Should I be using a buffing towel instead?

Thanks again!

imported_Picus
11-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Yep, that`s exactly right. As long as it`s clean you can put another layer of SG on. The towel you use to buff it off really isn`t of huge importance. Buffing towels tend to have more nap, which makes it a little easier to buff with them - but if the polishing towel is working then keep using it.

White95Max
11-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks Picus. :) I need to go back and take a look at the tires. I did a crap job there. It`s hard to get inside all the lettering.

For tires with a lot of lettering, somethin like PB`s Natural Look is great. It`s pretty thin, so it gets into all the grooves and lettering pretty easily. With tires like the Goodyear Regatta2, I never bother using my WG gel that I use most of the time. I love the finish that I get with NL anyway though, so it`s not really a trade-off. It`s just a little less durable than the WG gel.

Personally, I`d get some Nattys or MaxWax to add on top of the SG.

TwoStroke
11-06-2005, 10:57 AM
For tires with a lot of lettering, somethin like PB`s Natural Look is great. It`s pretty thin, so it gets into all the grooves and lettering pretty easily. With tires like the Goodyear Regatta2, I never bother using my WG gel that I use most of the time. I love the finish that I get with NL anyway though, so it`s not really a trade-off. It`s just a little less durable than the WG gel.

Personally, I`d get some Nattys or MaxWax to add on top of the SG.

Thanks, I`m going to order some. That`s great advice.

Thanks Picus, I`ll keep layering then. It`s rainy and nasty here at the moment, so I`m sure my car is going to be a mess before layer 3. :)

Mark77
11-07-2005, 02:20 AM
That`s a very nice car, and you did a good job too :2thumbs: Have you got any pictures of the interior? I haven`t seen the new IS in person yet, don`t know when it goes on sale here in Finland.

C. Charles Hahn
11-07-2005, 06:15 AM
This new IS is the one I`ve seen on TV with the "Engine Start" button kinda like an S2000, right? :cool:

sQuashed
11-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Wow.. Nice job twostroke and congrats on the new car.

imported_Picus
11-07-2005, 10:45 AM
This new IS is the one I`ve seen on TV with the "Engine Start" button kinda like an S2000, right? :cool:

That`s the one. I think the new Lexus GS series has them too.