PDA

View Full Version : Pad cleansing after I left them dry..

Tazman7
11-05-2005, 06:28 PM
I was just looking through my detailing stuff and I found my pads that I forgot to clean after I used them last. It has been on there about 6 months. Is there anyway that I can clean these or do I need to buy new pads? Thanks :hairpull

JasonD
11-05-2005, 07:05 PM
I`m sure they will be okay, just get a bucket of hot soap and water, and let them soak overnight. I think there are even pad rejuvenating/cleaning products available too. Regardless, I usually use hot water and dawn on a regular basis with no problems. Let them soak and then, wash them out thoroughly the next day with your hose.

n2_space
11-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I`m sure they will be okay, just get a bucket of hot soap and water, and let them soak overnight. I think there are even pad rejuvenating/cleaning products available too. Regardless, I usually use hot water and dawn on a regular basis with no problems. Let them soak and then, wash them out thoroughly the next day with your hose.

Yep, I had a friend that did the same thing... I told him to saok them in a very hot dawn solution and rinse (he had to do it twice), and they were as good as new :)

wannafbody
11-05-2005, 07:33 PM
try castrol purple cleaner and warm water

Tazman7
11-05-2005, 08:33 PM
thanks guys! I was hoping I could do that- I hate wasting money on my screw ups.

imported_Neothin
11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
A slight change in topic here but I`m having difficulty cleaning out my finishing pad that I used meguiar`s #26 on. I let the pad soak overnight in a dawn solution with all the other pads I used during the detail (the water was hot when they first went in). Then in the morning I went to finish the pads, all the other ones came clean but after "massaging" the pad with my hands a good number of times, I can still squeeze out the wax. All the other pads came clean when doing this. What else can I try to clean this pad?

Don
11-06-2005, 03:23 AM
MURPHY`S OIL SOAP works wonders in cutting even the strongest waxes out of a foam pad. Get the pad wet, pour on a dab of MOS and work it in until there is foam worked all through the pad. Rinse thoroughly (MUCH easier than rinsing out DAWN) and let dry.

If you don`t like the thought of the MOS leaving some kind of residue, then lightly rewash the pad with some mild APC and rinse.

White95Max
11-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I found a Propel Turbo pad this week that had been sitting with Nattys Blue on it for about 2 weeks. I soaked it for about 8 hours in warm-hot water and Dawn. It came out fine after a little scrubbing.

kpagel
11-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Has anyone used APC (specifically Meguiar`s) to clean their pads? I normally use Dawn and water, but this past weekend I didn`t have any left so I poured a couple ounces into a bucket of water and let them soak with the APC. They didn`t get them as clean as I would have liked, but it was better than nothing. I`m just worried about it ruining the pads in any way. Should that be a concern?

AMDin93103
11-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Has anyone used APC (specifically Meguiar`s) to clean their pads? I normally use Dawn and water, but this past weekend I didn`t have any left so I poured a couple ounces into a bucket of water and let them soak with the APC. They didn`t get them as clean as I would have liked, but it was better than nothing. I`m just worried about it ruining the pads in any way. Should that be a concern?

I use Megs APC (D10) to clean my pads. I clean about a dozen at a time in a five gallon bucket with about an inch of APC in the bottom. I let them soak until I remember they are there, about four or five hours then roll and squeeze `em out. I then spray them out with my hose and trigger sprayer set to fan. Always clean for me! I do have quite a few pads but use them all quite often. Never had any ill experiences with backing or deterioration no matter what the pad brand. HTH.

JeffM
11-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I spray out my pads the same nite with APC. It cleans the polish or wax out of them very quick, and takes less rinsing then with dawn .

I dont soak pads anymore.

jchetty
11-06-2005, 07:06 PM
A slight change in topic here but I`m having difficulty cleaning out my finishing pad that I used meguiar`s #26 on. I let the pad soak overnight in a dawn solution with all the other pads I used during the detail (the water was hot when they first went in). Then in the morning I went to finish the pads, all the other ones came clean but after "massaging" the pad with my hands a good number of times, I can still squeeze out the wax. All the other pads came clean when doing this. What else can I try to clean this pad?

i had the same problem :sadpace: then i bought a grit guard to start using during my wash :chuckle: , i found the filling up a bucket with soap and a lil bit of degreaser just past the grit guard, and gently scrubbing the pad on the grit guard came out pretty good and took a few minutes :woot2:

White95Max
11-06-2005, 07:14 PM
That`s a good idea Jay. I`ll have to try that with my GritGuard. :xyxthumbs

jchetty
11-06-2005, 08:19 PM
That`s a good idea Jay. I`ll have to try that with my GritGuard. :xyxthumbs

:hide: ...long time no see ...it works really well i had a hard time getting the purple off the pads from using 21...now it all gone.....btw a lil off topic but ur cars look good....the motor to :grinno:

White95Max
11-06-2005, 10:12 PM
but ur cars look good....the motor too :grinno:

I knew you`d notice :o :D