PDA

View Full Version : car wash...power wand vs bucket and mit

jeffdal
11-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Having just purchased a new 911, I have yet to get a car wash. I want to treat this car right from the start, so I need some expert opinions. I have heard that using a car wash can be really rough on the finish. So with that in mind.....Is it OK to use the self wash/car wash with the power wand/spray....Or am I just better off with some dawn and a bucket?

THANKS in advance

ararock1
11-05-2005, 08:34 AM
I wouldn`t use either, with a few exceptions.

You don`t know what`s in the water (often recycled) at the auto wash, nor do you know what kind of "soap" is being used.

As for the bucket, the only reason to wash a car with Dawn is to take off all the wax, and unless you are going to do that one time to apply a polymer finish (e.g.: Zaino,which will not bond to the paint through a wax), using Dawn and a bucket is a pretty harsh way to treat any car.

If you want to treat the car "right from the start," you need to spend some time here reading up on how best to wash a car without damaging the paint, and how best to protect the paint by using either wax or a polymer.

Get the right protectant, the right soap, the right cleaning implements and the right drying towels (usually microfibre these days), and leave the Dawn up in the kitchen.

imported_flatstick
11-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Having just purchased a new 911, I have yet to get a car wash. I want to treat this car right from the start, so I need some expert opinions. I have heard that using a car wash can be really rough on the finish. So with that in mind.....Is it OK to use the self wash/car wash with the power wand/spray....Or am I just better off with some dawn and a bucket?

THANKS in advance

You should use at least the 2 bucket method for sure ( one with suds, one with rinse water) I would not wash with Dawn. there are so many ways to wash it can be mind boggling. make sure to use a good was mitt as well to avoid marring the surface. there are many threads about car was and mitts, do a search for the info you are looking for.