PDA

View Full Version : Removing Swirl Marks

93mr2red
11-04-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a red car. No clear coat. I want to remove swirl marks. Do you think these products will work.......

Top of the Line medium cut followed by carnuba(spelling?) wax?

or should I use Klasse all in one after the medium cut and before the wax for better results?

open to any suggestion.................thanks

White95Max
11-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Wax will not remove swirl marks, only hide them (in some cases). AIO will not remove much of any swirl marks either. It may diminish them a little bit, but that`s it.

I haven`t used the TOL medium cut, but you need to first figure out how severe the swirls are. If they are heavy, you`ll need to look into getting a heavy polish/compound. Since those usually leave some hazing behind, you`ll need to get a lighter polish as well, to follow the compound.

If your swirls are pretty light to begin with, the lighter polish will be adequate.

Do you have a PC or other machine? If not, I`d get one. Removing swirls by hand is a very time-consuming process.

93mr2red
11-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes, I have an portal cable orbital polisher.

Accumulator
11-05-2005, 10:58 AM
93mr2red- You might need a milder product after the H-T Medium Cut. If it were my ss red paint, I`d use Meg`s #80 (either by itself or after the H-T). I don`t *think* you`ll need anything more aggressive than the H-T MC and I`d rather use a mild product (maybe even milder than the H-T MC) several times when working with ss. Depending on the car`s condition, I`d probably try to fix it (as in, "good enough") with just the #80.

If you can keep the paint from getting marred up again, the AIO might be a good thing to use next time to clean off the inevitable oxidation before redoing the LSP. But for now, since you`re gonna be removing said oxidation via the polishing anyhow, I`d go with the Meguiar`s "trade secret oils" approach- namely the stuff the #80 leaves behind, and maybe one of their "pure polishes" on top of that before the wax.

Talk yourself into settling for the "good enough" approach so your paint lasts a long time. Note that red ss will oxidize pretty much no matter what you do. That means you`ll always have to take a little off. That means you gotta think long term when it comes to how aggressively you treat it. I`d much rather have some residual marring than thin the paint too much too fast and end up having to repaint it. The oils/glaze/wax approach works really well on single stage. Different animal than basecoat/clear ;)

Ron Harris
11-05-2005, 11:17 AM
My sugestion would be the Optimum Polish with an Orange pad, Green pad and a white finishing pad. With this setup you should be good for a long time. You can do your heavy correcting all the way to light touch ups.

93mr2red
11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Should I purchase klasse AIO to remove the oxidation before I use the med cut?????

White95Max
11-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Any abrasive polish will remove oxidation as well. AIO is a great product to finish off with, to make sure all of the oxidation is gone, and to leave a great base for a sealant/wax.

Richt
11-06-2005, 03:27 AM
My current best swirl removing results have been via PC and Detailer Pride Super Swirl Eliminator. This and a cutting pad have been the most effective and quickist solution so far for me.