PDA

View Full Version : QD on new paint?

jetskie
11-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Well my red baby got a scratch on the left rear fender. :angry Given that that fender also had a egg mark by some jerks I decide to have it repainted. I know that wax is not to be used for at least 30 days and glaze is recomended. My question is that if QD is ok and will it provide some protection if used frequently enough? Thanks for any idea.

White95Max
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Hmm. Some QDs have protectants in them, so you probably wouldn`t want to use any of those until the recommended cure period is up. You might be able to find a QD that does not offer any protectants. Just use a "body shop safe" glaze on the paint for a little protection, and keep it relatively clean.

Accumulator
11-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Only QD I`d use on fresh paint is Meg`s #34. Until it`s cured I`d rely on #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2/Mothers S&G, 3M IHG to provide a little protection. Of those products I prefer Meg`s #5.

RobD
11-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I think I remember reading on the Mother`s forum that Showtime QD can be used on new paint and won`t block the out-gassing. I`d ask over there or call them to make sure, though.

III
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Clearkote Quickshine is what I`d recommend.

jetskie
11-06-2005, 10:36 AM
I think I remember reading on the Mother`s forum that Showtime QD can be used on new paint and won`t block the out-gassing. I`d ask over there or call them to make sure, though.

Did a search at waxforum and it looks like Showtime is fine. Thanks for the help.

gbackus
11-06-2005, 12:33 PM
You can use any sealant that doesn`t have an active solvent/cleaning system on fresh paint. The only one I know will work for sure is AI`s Finishing Wax, but I have heard(I`ve never talked to Sal) Zaino can be used as well because it has no active solvent/cleaning system.