PDA

View Full Version : Acid rain spot removal, need some help

imported_Antoddio
11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Long time listener, first time caller here...

00 Colorado Red VW Passat

I have what as best as I can tell is acid rain spots on the hood, roof, and trunk lid. I had one prof detail done at a detalier that didn`t take them out...but I don`t think they used a very aggresive compound. Several body shops tried to talk me into repainting those areas (probably once they heard the word insurance). Another shop wants to try wet sanding and buffing.

But here`s what I did last weekend, after reading about some compounds I went ahead and tried 3M fine cut and Meguires #1 Medium cut, with a Meguires scratch-X finish. Yellow foam pad was used with about 3 HAND applications of the #1 with a good amount of force, then one of each of the others. (probably redundant)

Well most of the spots in the small area came out. The others are acceptable by my standards; you really have to look for them really CLOSE. My Question is seeing that I was able to get them out by HAND, is WETSANDING really necessary or should a different compound by PC or Rotary be able to take them out? Wetsanding seems a bit severe and I would like to avoid it, but maybe an agressive compound would take off just as much clearcoat?

I have an appt for monday at the shop, and need to figure out what I want. Thank you very much!

Preachers Sheets
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
You should be able to get them out with a PC and a little time. Just get a yellow cutting pad, compound and a polish.

White95Max
11-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Often, a polishing or cutting pad on the PC is all that you need. Some less severe water spots can be removed with a paint cleaner like AIO. Otherwise, try a polish like SSR2.5.

imported_Antoddio
11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
I am not sure the AIO will cut it, they are somewhat severe. If I had more time I would DIY but I am going to have a shop do it now, plus fix all the paint chips and 2 very small door dings. A PC is on my shopping list for the spring though. :)

They quoted $400 for a wetsand and buff, but I think I am going to tell them no wetsanding, just use a rotary. I just hope they know what they are doing, don`t take off too much clearcoat. If I don`t like what they say I may just walk away, but I don`t think this place will try to run an insurance scam and talk me into a repaint like some others have.