PDA

View Full Version : professional view on chemicals, water laws and usages, and run off for mobile biz

Pages : [1] 2

vwgti16vjettak2
11-03-2005, 10:28 PM
hello everyone,

im just moved from new york to the san francisco bay area and i had some questions that i was hoping some mobile experts could answer. In NY there werent any laws for run off and stuff and VOC compliance. So as i start up my mobile business in the bay could people suggest some safe voc compliant chemicals for tires, wheels, engines and tire dressing that would would be to the autopian standard. Ive done a lil research and came across a brand called P&S which is sold locally, any comments. As for water usage does any one know the amount of water that can be shed in the ground or do i have to reclaim everything.(i did research and came up empty) Do any pros have similar situation who have a solid solution?

thanks to all

....am i missing anything?

and to let you all know that "detailers" out here really dont know what they are doing, they use the same grimmy wash mits that probably been dropped on the ground a few times and rough poly blend towels to remove wax i could go on. hopefully the public and distinguish me from them.

thanks again :up

sQuashed
11-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Your personal water laws will be county enforced. Im on the other side of the sierra`s from you and the laws are non existant here. You will not have that luxury in SF. Please do not confuse the "detailers" in your area with the one`s like myself that take pride in their work. I can only educate one "detailer" at a time in this big state and I havent made it to San Fran just yet.

vwgti16vjettak2
11-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Please do not confuse the "detailers" in your area with the one`s like myself that take pride in their work. I can only educate one "detailer" at a time in this big state and I havent made it to San Fran just yet.

im not confused i just hope i can find some clientele that knows the difference from a crappy car wash and a properly executed detail

AMDin93103
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
. . .could people suggest some safe voc compliant chemicals for tires, wheels, engines and tire dressing that would would be to the autopian standard.

Any products that are produced/sold in CA must be VOC compliant as of Jan. 1, 2005. If you perfer to buy big there is a broad selection of manufacturers to choose from with some more accessible in certain areas; Meguiars, Chemical Guys, Malco, AutoMagic, Huey, AutoInt, Carbrite, ardex FinishKare, and P&S. Buy locally if you can as it really stinks having to experiement with something from Pep-Boys when FedEx can`t find your door. I personally use Meguiars Wheel Brightener or Safe Degreaser on wheels and have gone through a half dozen flavors of dressings in the last three months. . . #38, BnB, 303, VRT (CG), and others I am sure.

As for water usage does any one know the amount of water that can be shed in the ground or do i have to reclaim everything.(i did research and came up empty) Do any pros have similar situation who have a solid solution?

Yes, county enforced. The more liberal communities and theose closer to the ocean tend to focus more on enforcing the rules. Containment Mat (heavy, dirty cumbersome) or a Water Boom (costly yet more convenient than a mat) are just about your only two option AFAIK. Being environmentally compliant is an amazing marketing tool in said conscious areas. Good piece of mind as well. . . :nervous:

HTH.

sQuashed
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Good luck to you.

AMDin93103
11-03-2005, 11:07 PM
im not confused i just hope i can find some clientele that knows the difference from a crappy car wash and a properly executed detail

Do what you do and word will travel. They will eventually find you.

Superior Shine
11-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Actually the law is national. The federal clean water act mandates we capture/reclaim the waste water that we generate. It must be disposed of into the sanitary sewer system after it has properly been filtered first.

I have been approached by city officials to make sure I was compliant. I have found that most cities, state and federal officials know very little if anything about reclaiming and enforcement.

I have "schooled" my local officials on what the law says we can and can`t do.

vwgti16vjettak2
11-04-2005, 08:39 AM
i cant seem to find containment mats on the internet...just the mats that is.

if anyone has links that would be appreciated. even if i could find 4 small ones to put under the wheels would be good too

thanks

Setec Astronomy
11-04-2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=64

Super
11-06-2005, 04:14 AM
I know some professionals Detailers here use only a few gals to wash that’s the best & cheapest way to go

One thing you don’t want to do is have wash water going down the street drain that gives you and or your Co. a bad s name. :nono

You can make your own containment mats real easy all you need is a Liner, pump, round soft rubber poles and a pump.

Firestone PondGard EPDM Rubber Liner

http://www.dripworksusa.com/ev_store/ev_pondliner.html#PDGEOF

Wash water all you need to do is capture it and pump it throughout the lawn or landscaping it won’t hurt it if you spread it throughout unless you are doing engine cleaning. (And parking cars on lawns is bad for a lawn) Organisms in soil can eat just about anything but organisms can be over whelmed & die by too much of something like chemicals, oils in which organisms drowns which is known as dead soil. Soil organisms are a life form so….

If you are going to reclaim your water to a tank the best way is to have has much water evaporate a much as possible before pumping it to the tank. Then the city charges you to dump it, it gets expensive.

I know a Pro PWing Co. in Dallas Tx he uses a containment system and if he sees some pro cleaning co cleaning without a containment system he reports them! Some cities the police will enforce the environmental laws, first they will give you a first warning second of third time they will fine you’re a@# big time. San Diego I think its zero tolerance.

TRD Ruler318
11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
There is no law against washing your car on the street in SF or Daly City, Pacifica and parts of the S. Bay are total opposite as you cannot wash your own car in your own driveway. Do you go to P&S off 9th st.? If you do then they should have an idea of the different county laws in the bay area, they are very helpful and is my first choice for detailing products.

doged
11-07-2005, 05:34 PM
You can make your own containment mats real easy all you need is a Liner, pump, round soft rubber poles and a pump. Firestone PondGard EPDM Rubber Liner.

I understand the rubber liner concept and the pump, how does rubber poles fit in? Obviously there needs to be perforated holes in something so the wet vac can take up the water. :idea

AMDin93103
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
There is no law against washing your car on the street in SF or Daly City, Pacifica and parts of the S. Bay are total opposite as you cannot wash your own car in your own driveway.

I`d like to see someone try to rationalize that theory to the Muni Water District.

:rules:

Scottwax
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
One thing you don’t want to do is have wash water going down the street drain that gives you and or your Co. a bad s name. :nono

Meanwhile, apartment complexes and office complexes flood the streets daily thousands of gallons of water, washing all the oils and other crap that drips off car right down into the sewers. It would be nice to see them have to use a containment system, especially since they are 1000000 times worse than any detailer.

I know a Pro PWing Co. in Dallas Tx he uses a containment system and if he sees some pro cleaning co cleaning without a containment system he reports them! Some cities the police will enforce the environmental laws, first they will give you a first warning second of third time they will fine you’re a@# big time. San Diego I think its zero tolerance.

He can call on me all he wants. I am in full compliance using QEW without a containment system.

vwgti16vjettak2
11-07-2005, 10:50 PM
You can make your own containment mats real easy all you need is a Liner, pump, round soft rubber poles and a pump. Firestone PondGard EPDM Rubber Liner.

I understand the rubber liner concept and the pump, how does rubber poles fit in? Obviously there needs to be perforated holes in something so the wet vac can take up the water. :idea

if someone could draw a diagram that would be great i think i might take a stab at making one