PDA

View Full Version : Why foam?

truzoom
01-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Not sure if this has been addressed before, but why has foam been the choice of material for applicators? It seems like it could be a major source of the minor marring on finishes since it doesn`t exactly feel too soft like MF or Terry. I guess I`m curious since a lot of my foam pads are getting worn and stained, so I`ll be buying a pack of applicators sometime soon.

Bill D
01-30-2005, 09:03 AM
When it comes to applying a sealant or wax by hand I use a very plush mf pad. If I need mild polishing action by hand I`ll use foam; it has a little more bite. Polishing even small spots by hand is rarely effective on my paint though.

rollman
01-30-2005, 12:11 PM
When it comes to applying a sealant or wax by hand I use a very plush mf pad. If I need mild polishing action by hand I`ll use foam; it has a little more bite. Polishing even small spots by hand is rarely effective on my paint though.

:yeah Thats pretty much what I do as well . It works great for me .

Foam comes in many differnt grades today . One that comes to mind are the White polishing pads from Edge . They`re some of the finest foam pads I`ve ever felt. Let`s not forget those PVA appilcators from PoorBoys , though I never had a chance to use them I hear nothing but good things about them . I think the biggest reason as to "Why foam" is the price , its cheap .

TW85
01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
You can buy two foam pads for the price of one MF or terry applicator. I tend to use MF and terry applicators on the interior (more even of an application) and foam on the exterior. Foam wastes less product IMO and while I have wondered about foam applicators marring the paint, I have not found that to be the case. I do have eight paint dedicated MF pads from Patrick that I use once in a while, particularly if the product is out of a bottle or comes in a large jar like #16.

Bill D
01-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Foam tools that I do use most frequently I use in the interior. They include:interior dressing applicators from TOL, Black Magic foam pads and foam paint brushes in packs from a dollar store.

shotime
01-30-2005, 02:02 PM
If anybody hasn`t tried the Euro Foam Applicators from PAC yet, try them. They`re the best I`ve used by far. Both sides can be used, one is more for polishing and other is for waxes/sealants. The size is huge which saves a lot of time. I bought 3 to try out and am buying 10 more on my next order. I`ve tried terry applicators but they always seem to leave fine swirls. Maybe it`s me, maybe it`s the applicator. I`m sure some people swear by them.

Bill D
01-30-2005, 03:08 PM
It sounds like it might be too big for small clearance areas in door jams. Sounds like a product that should be available in several sizes and sold individually in each and also a "value pack"

JaCkaL829
01-30-2005, 03:19 PM
I like to use foam applicator pads for waxes/sealants, terry applicator pads for paint polishing if i`m doing it by hand and MF applicator pads for interior cleaning/dressing.

zesty-man
01-30-2005, 03:45 PM
for the most part, ive gotten myself addicted to those mf applicators. i think the mf applicators use more product, then the foam, but give you an even coat. i guess it matters on how much product youre willing to use.

Anthony A
01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
I wondered about foam apps causing marring so I tested for it. I washed the hood of the car and used it as my test bed. Took a foam Megs yellow app and rubbed it on the paint. Inspected for marring in bright sun light and under halogen lighting. No marring. Increased the pressure and still no marring. I had to rub extreamly hard to get even minor marring from the foam. I wasn`t using any kind of lube either. Same results with MF apps. Terry apps marred and it did not require much pressure to do so.

I use foam for all interior dressings. MF and terry apps waste too much product and I don`t find application of the product to be more even as some have suggested.

On the paint I use foam for thicker products like paste wax and thick liquids. I use MF apps for thinner products such as pre wax cleaners. They seem to spread better with the MF app.

I also use foam for defect removal by hand. I find foam provides more even pressure with abrasives. MF and terry apps have a nap to them and I don`t like this with abrassives. I want the abrasives to contact the paint uniformly and they can`t with an applicator that has a nap. The nap creates hot spots and uneven application of the product resulting in marring in my experience.