PDA

View Full Version : Artificial light`s

Flatfour
11-02-2005, 12:35 PM
What sort of light is best used to see holograms/polishing faults like when you see them into sunlight ?

I have a halogen light with a 150 Watt tube in it...

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/59/11/43_2.JPG

Or do I need somethin gbigger/better or completely else ?

Mikeyc
11-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I don`t really have the answer, but I just wanted to share that I just got the same kind of light at Lowe`s this week. Except mine`s yellow and 500 watts and only $10 each.

Flatfour
11-02-2005, 12:45 PM
It`s for use this winter when I`m detailing indoors..

Or next summer when it`s cloudy...

Mikeyc
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I always do my waxing/polishing and drying in the garage. The only problem is there`s only one 75 watt bulb light in there. Now with two of these 500 watt bad boys it`s like a bright summer day in there.

Flatfour
11-02-2005, 01:01 PM
And then you really see possible holograms and other imperfections ?

(I have to polish a black Mercedes this friday, indoors, but want it to be done 101 % so I really have to see what I`m doing, especially when compounding with a rotary...)

Bill D
11-02-2005, 01:02 PM
A 1000 Watt halogen stand in particular for dark colors, a 200 and 300 watt incandescent trouble light, flourescents, and a good old fashioned 75-100 watt trouble light are a pretty good assortment.

MorBid
11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
I have one of those in along with a Craftsman Professional 1200 watt Quartz Halogen Work Light with Tripod (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03483986000) and lastly the yellow 1000W ones everyone has.

I have the 1200W one up in front of the garage and move the 1000W one around to the sides and back of the car.

I use the little red one once in awhile for doing sides or to add light in tricky spots.

Halogens tend to be really good at highlighting everything but halograms (IMHO), for that I think Flourescent lights work better.

The down side to tripod halogens is that the tripod takes up alot of valueable real estate in a one car garage.

My garage only has one dinky light socket in the ceiling, if you have other lighting you may be able to get by with the little red one. But I`d by the 1000W one`s

Flatfour
11-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Ok, thanks, what exactly is fluorescent light then, we call it TL light over here but I`m not shure... ?

I have this, but it`s only 18 watts...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/fluorescent-lamp-ch.gif

imported_Neothin
11-03-2005, 07:19 AM
I know the yellow 1000 watt halogen light stand can be found at lowes/home depot, but does anyone know where I can find a good 200-300 watt incandesent lamp from?

Bill D
11-03-2005, 07:32 AM
If you have a well stocked Lowe`s, they should have it. It will be in the section with the other kinds of trouble lights and electrical cords. Only recently did the one in my area start carrying them though. If not Lowe`s, maybe a Home Depot ( although I never saw them there) or another smaller hardware store.( Ace? True Value?) Also in my area, it appears Lowe`s is the only source for the 200 and 300 watt bulbs.

Accumulator
11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Much as I like the high-wattage incandescents for spotting marring (much better than the halogens, at least to my eyes), I only see holograms in bright natural sunlight. Especially light holograms. I just can`t spot them under any artificial lighting.

Bill D- Sounds like your FLA Lowe`s stores are finally catching up with those in Ohio :D Maybe I shouldn`t poke fun though, I dunno if mine ever restocked after I bought the last of their high-wattage lights :o

Flatfour
11-03-2005, 10:33 AM
And that`s just what I want to see, Holograms in artificial light...

Bill D
11-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Bill D- Sounds like your FLA Lowe`s stores are finally catching up with those in Ohio :D Maybe I shouldn`t poke fun though, I dunno if mine ever restocked after I bought the last of their high-wattage lights :o

Yes, it seemed that way, last time I checked. Thanks again for accomodating me at the time. I ought to stop by there again to check in and probably to pick up some more cut off valves.