PDA

View Full Version : OK to wax new car?

flyingphoto
11-01-2005, 09:29 PM
I spoke to a friend today and told him I was about to wax my new car. He Shreeeiked and said that I need to wait 6 months for the paint to harden and cure. IS THIS TRUE???

:nixweiss

This is not new, paint shop paint, but new, new car from factory paint.

Thanks

Tom

C. Charles Hahn
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, first of all I want you to go back and slap your friend across the face and call him an idiot.

Then, I want you to grab the wax and go to town on your car. Factory paint is 100% FINE TO WAX from the second it comes off the end of the line at the factory. The fact is your brand new car has probably already been waxed.... by the dealership before you ever got your hands on it.

Welome to Autopia -- time to start reading GOOD advice; I`d advise you to start searching/reading. :2thumbs:

White95Max
11-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Yes you can wax your new car as soon as you want.

If you have the car repainted at any time in the future, you need to wait 30-90 days for the paint to fully cure before waxing/sealing it.

Don
11-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Wax on dude, you`re good to go.

Anthony O.
11-02-2005, 06:23 AM
Most new modern paints, I am speaking of re-paints here and not OEM paints, can be waxed usually within 24 hours of repaint just as long as the wax you use doesn`t contain solvents and/or cleaners. Older paints needed additional time to air cure.

Anthony

Mikeyc
11-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, first of all I want you to go back and slap your friend across the face and call him an idiot.

Then, I want you to grab the wax and go to town on your car. Factory paint is 100% FINE TO WAX from the second it comes off the end of the line at the factory. The fact is your brand new car has probably already been waxed.... by the dealership before you ever got your hands on it.

Welome to Autopia -- time to start reading GOOD advice; I`d advise you to start searching/reading. :2thumbs:

Slap your friend a second time for me :grinno:

the other pc
11-02-2005, 08:37 AM
I wouldn`t be to rough with your buddy, he`s just stuck in the past (does he wear corduroy bellbottoms and platform shoes?). Tell him to leave disco behind and join us in the this century.

Back in the old days cars when new cars were painted with high solvent enamels and lacquers it was best to wait. Current production coatings are good to go right off the assembly line.

PC.

imported_Picus
11-02-2005, 09:30 AM
I heard recently that Volvo is using a new painting process that requires a 4-6 month cure time after manufacture. Anyone have any information on this? Apparently it`s even in the owners manual with the date of manufacture so people know when they can begin waxing their Volvos.