PDA

View Full Version : Klasse...New Paint Question Please

roadster
10-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Just refinished my 90 Reatta coupe with DuPont Chroma Premier (expensive job).

How long before I can use Klasse please, and when I do since it is new paint should I just use part 2 of the Klasse? I want to get something on it as soon as I can as a small bird has already dropped something on the top of the back quarter. I used some swirl remover and got most of the damage out....I have a carport but a bird will fly under it every once in a while (X*&X///XX##X$^*%#X@X) :).

Thanks,

Nic

Don
10-31-2005, 08:23 PM
How long did the painter tell you to wait?

imported_DennisH
11-01-2005, 07:34 AM
How long did the painter tell you to wait?

I agree 100% -- Your painter has the warrenty on the paint job and knows best when it will be safe to add sealants and waxes to the finish.

White95Max
11-01-2005, 09:21 AM
I`d ask the painter too. Generally 30-60 days is recommended.

If a bird decides to cr*p on it, you definitely want to remove that ASAP.

There are products that are labeled as "body shop safe", which can be used on fresh paint.

Accumulator
11-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I wouldn`t ask the painter because so many of them give advice that`s based on either a general ignorance of (higher-caliber) detailing or on the assumption that the car`s owner doesn`t know what he`s doing. I hear *so* much my-painter-said BS that I just go with what is generally accepted knowledge about aftermarket automotive paint.

No wax or sealant for at least 30 days no matter what. 60 days is still taking a chance, and 90 days is best. The outgassing takes a long time even if it`s baked- often, you can actually *smell* it. Sealing the paint with wax/etc. before the outgassing is complete will result in paint that`s softer than it oughta be.

While it`s curing, use fresh paint-friendly products such as Mothers S&G, 3M IHG (yuck IMO) or, preferably, Meg`s "pure polishes (#3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2). If you have marring to remove use something like Meg`s #80.

Damage to the unprotected paint is just one of the hazards of repainting a vehicle, just the nature of the beast.