PDA

View Full Version : Am I using the wrong pad?

mcmmotorsports
10-31-2005, 05:33 PM
I have some fine scratches on my `04 Mustang GT. I tried some 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound today with this Pad I got from my Local Napa on recommendation. I still have some scratches and I think that maybe I am using the wrong pad. Any help would be aprechiated.

a.k.a. Patrick
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Looks like a cutting pad, although Im not familiar with it......Might be better suited for heavier swirls oppossed to light swirls....

mcmmotorsports
10-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Well, I got all of the Swirls out, it is just some scratches that are left.

You know, the kinda scratches that are put on a beautiful paint job by using a damm self service car wash brush which I have no idea how it happened. :nervous:

wash-girl
11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Judging by the color, my guess would also be cutting pad. Lake Country, Edge2000, and Hi-Gloss all use yellow for cutting/compounding pads. However, Meguiars throws a curveball by using yellow for it`s polishing pad.

The NAPA description of your pad is "Buffing & Polishing Pad -- 9``,Foam." (http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15622107&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=) But it comes from a line in which it is apparently the only foam pad--the rest being C0TT0N and wool. (http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_mn.d2w/report) So it is very likely that it is meant to be a polishing pad, rather than a cutting pad.

I would simply suggest purchasing what you know to be a light polishing or finishing pad from one of the tried and true lines of foam pads. I like Lake Country, but Meguiars and 3M are readily available OTC in many paint and body shops.

Of course, you need to pay attention to technique, as much as pad choice. Too much product, or incorrect speed and pressure, can result in unsatisfactory results. Dirty pads or dirt particles on the paint surface could be producing new scratches as you polish out the old ones.

P.S. Does anyone know why the word "C0TT0N" gets censored into ****** ??? I had to use zeros to make it work. :nixweiss

mcmmotorsports
11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the input, I was going to pick up a 3M pad today, but wanted to wait to see what you guys said. C0tt0n may be a BADDDD word here.

the other pc
11-01-2005, 04:39 PM
...P.S. Does anyone know why the word "C0TT0N" gets censored into ****** ??? I had to use zeros to make it work. :nixweissI believe it was due to a recent situation in which a non-sponsoring business with the word ****** in their name was asked by the powers-that-be of Autopia not to conduct sales related activities on the forum.

Unfortunately, with Gossypium plant derived cellulose fiber textiles being of general interest to Autopians, it does put a bit of a cramp in towel discussions.

PC.

wash-girl
11-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately, with Gossypium plant derived cellulose fiber textiles being of general interest to Autopians, it does put a bit of a cramp in towel discussions.

LOL I thought maybe the microfiber revolution was complete.

Accumulator
11-03-2005, 10:18 AM
I can`t tell what the pad is like by looking at the pics. Can`t go by color and sometimes the look of the texture can be deceiving.

The PI-II is sorta mild but usually requires a follow-up with a milder product. But it doesn`t sound like a problem with swirling/etc., but rather with not getting all the serious scratches out. That would mean it needs more work with whatever you`ve already been using- you need to take off more clear to get the deeper scratches out. Do you really want to take off that much clear?

That`s a mighty big pad to use wiht a PC (not using a rotary are you?) and that will make it act *less* aggressive than it would normally.

FWIW, I`m not a big fan of 3M pads either.

But the thing that really matters is to determine what the problem really is- did I get it right above or am I misunderstanding something?