PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Have These License Plate Problems?

Setec Astronomy
10-31-2005, 04:09 PM
The license plates here (NJ) used to be painted, and although they weren`t clearcoated or anything, you could polish them and wax them. I found out the hard way that the new plates are different, with some sort of decal applied to the metal plate, rather than paint.

My first run-in with this was on my car, where I had a bug stuck on my front plate that didn`t come off during wash, noticed it while drying and decided to pick it off with my fingernail...except that I dug into the decal with nail and tore it up just slightly in that spot. Yesterday, I was helping my friend with her car, was using the PC with AIO on a white LC pad, and, same thing, I`m polishing the front bumper, I see some bug residue on the plate, and think "I`ll just hit this with the PC". :wall So I burned off a little of the black on the edge of about 3 letters. Fortunately, she wasn`t too bothered by this.

Anybody else experience this?

White95Max
10-31-2005, 04:26 PM
She`ll have to get custom plates now! JR DTLR :xyxthumbs

I haven`t noticed that before. I`ve waxed my plates plenty of times, and scrubbed bugs off of them, but I`ve never picked at the plate with my fingernail.

I`ll be going out to QD the Protege tonight. I`ll see if I`m able to pick off a piece of the "decal" if there is one.

Bluesbrekr
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Paul, WI plates are still painted.

White95Max
10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, there`s my answer. No need to pick through the metal on my plate now! :)

Spilchy
10-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Fortunately, she wasn`t too bothered by this.

Hey JR, this calls for an immediate dinner at Basilico`s on Setec`s dime, and this time NO dessert for him. Instead he has to watch you eat it. :LOLOL

(FYI - Basilico is a kick arse restaurant near Setec and I).

Maybe you can touch up the plate with a Sharpie marker or some black touch up paint.

I detailed an X5 today and didn`t polish the plate, just hit it with some dilluted APC and a wheel brush and topped with Carnauba Moose. Never knew about the Jersey plates being so delicate.

JRdetailerwoman
10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey JR, this calls for an immediate dinner at Basilico`s on Setec`s dime, and this time NO dessert for him. Instead he has to watch you eat it. :LOLOL

(FYI - Basilico is a kick arse restaurant near Setec and I).

Maybe you can touch up the plate with a Sharpie marker or some black touch up paint.

I detailed an X5 today and didn`t polish the plate, just hit it with some dilluted APC and a wheel brush and topped with Carnauba Moose. Never knew about the Jersey plates being so delicate.

GREAT IDEA Spilchy!!!(the dinner that is!)

Mikeyc
10-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Plates in MA are still painted as far as I know. I moved out of state a few years ago and re-assigned my plates to my brother. He rarely washes his car so when I moved back and got my plates back they were disgusting. No polish could restore them. I ordered new ones from the registry. This was almost a year ago and I haven`t received the new plates yet.

JaCkaL829
10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Ya even on my plates I have a really little nick from something. I usually just wash and try scrubbing the bugs and dirt off it.