PDA

View Full Version : Product help for vw beetle

imported_Neothin
10-31-2005, 12:45 PM
So my mom`s birthday was two weeks ago and my dad decided he wanted to "detail" her 2004 Volkswagen Beetle by going over it with the brown 3M rubbing compound paste as a present. Needless to say that the clear is BADLY swirled. This comes a month after I had spent 2 days polishing out minor dealer/washing induced marring on the car with opt polish via orange LC pad on a PC. So I get up saturday with the intention of getting the car back to its previous state. An hour after I start polishing, Ive only got a quarter of the very small hood done. This VW paint being really hard, along with only using a PC, and Optimum polishes longer than usual break-down time is killing me. does anyone have a product suggestion that I can try on this project? I was thinking of upgrading the pad to a heavy cut LC pad (their orange is only a medium cut) and trying out optimum compound, but I don`t know if that will work.

imported_Neothin
11-01-2005, 07:11 AM
can anyone help me out?

White95Max
11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Did he use the RC by hand?

You could try using the RC again with the PC and a cutting pad. Or rotary.

The swirls are from your dad not working the polish long enough to break down.

Accumulator
11-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Doing this by PC will be tough, maybe impossible. Sorry for the bad news, just a fair warning based on my experiences with Audi clear. If it is possible, it`s just gonna take as long as it takes.

Use 4" pads at speed 6 with the PC-suitable product of your choice. I haven`t tried the Optimum stuff so I dunno how it`d work. You`re gonna want the most aggressive product that`ll still work OK by PC.

In the absence of a rotary, I don`t think *I* would use the RC paste again. You might try it in a small spot but see what happens before you go too far down that road. Speed 5 or 6, work until it`s almost gone. Orange pad, not yellow for that, you want to let the product do the work and you don`t want added issues from an aggressive pad. Just an aggressive-enough pad to work right with the RC. But oh man would I be careful, this sounds like a good way to make things worse :nervous:

I`d stick with the orange pads, I`d worry about the yellow ones adding more marring of their own.

People who do a whole project of any type without checking their work as they go = :rolleyes: but hey, he`s your dad and he was trying to do the right thing.

imported_Neothin
11-01-2005, 12:33 PM
ok then, looks like ill be picking up some orange 4" spot pads for the pc. Accumulator, you`ve said to find a really agressive polish to use with these pads. IMO i dont think that optimum compound is the best i can do. Would it be better to switch to a more tried and true chemical like ssr3, dacp, menzerna IP, etc?

and just so you know, my dad has no clue about what he was doing. for one, he said that the swirls were there when he started because if his car had them, my mom`s had to have them also. he`s also the one that decided to give the paint a coat of armor all because he thought that if it made the inside shiny, it would make the paint shiny too. that was a task to take off....