PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying Klasse, anything I need to know

Roger R
10-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Even though I`m heading into winter and not driving my Crossfire, I thought I`d try the Klasse "starter" kit. I found a site selling it for $45.00 and it includes ONE 16.9 oz bottle of all in one and ONE 16.9 bottle of sealant, pads and a microfiber towel. I do have a question for those who have experience with this. Can it be layered (the sealant) or is that counter productive. I used Mequiars from the time I was about 18 till about 1 1/2 years ago when I switched to Griots. The main reason I`d like to try this Klasse stuff is because its acrylic, something I`ve never worked with. I`d also like some "tips" when working with it from those who know it/like it, thanks guys :up

pontman43
10-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes the sealant can be layered. And my tip for the SG (sealant) is to put some in a fine mist spray bottle and spray it onto the paint, then on applicator and apply very thin and even. I like to take it off with some water and a couple drops of SG, just spray it on the surface after SG has hazed and wipe off with a MF. This gets rid of any streaking possible. As for AIO just apply thin, any way you would like. Most people will say to wait 24hrs or so to layer SG, but I dont and it works just fine.

Roger R
10-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes the sealant can be layered. And my tip for the SG (sealant) is to put some in a fine mist spray bottle and spray it onto the paint, then on applicator and apply very thin and even. I like to take it off with some water and a couple drops of SG, just spray it on the surface after SG has hazed and wipe off with a MF. This gets rid of any streaking possible. As for AIO just apply thin, any way you would like. Most people will say to wait 24hrs or so to layer SG, but I dont and it works just fine.

So your saying to spray it onto the paint, is it THAT thin? Also it (sealant) needs to sit for 24 hrs and then you can apply another coat? Well the problem with that is here in SE Michigan right now its getting down into the 40`s at night time, is that a problem? Thanks as this is the kinda info I really need! :)

White95Max
10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
No you don`t have to let the sealant sit for 24 hours. He means that people advise to apply the SG, then buff it off. THEN wait 24hrs before applying another coat.

Make sure to apply the SG very thin. Others have had a not-so-fun time removing it when they`ve applied it too thick.

learner22
11-01-2005, 01:10 AM
After SG, top up with Nattys Blue or pinnacle wax :bigups

ghoonk
11-01-2005, 04:23 AM
learner22, good point. i`m using that combo now, but have realised that for some reason, the wax doesn`t stay on as long as compared to if I were to apply it to a prepped surface. I`m wondering if it is due to the possibly that wax just doesn`t last more than 2 weeks on top of any sealant :(

Roger R
11-01-2005, 06:37 AM
How many coats of Klasse sealant should/can I apply before topping it with wax. Keep in mind the car is going to be sitting in the garage, so I like to take this time for "the build" up.

AndyH_STi
11-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Roger: There are many, many posts on this topic. A simple search for Klasse SG or Klasse sealant should turn them up. :D

FWIW, I used two coats of Klasse SG and topped with One Grand Blitz wax when I detailed my STi a month or so ago.

s2skimon
11-01-2005, 07:49 AM
great product, just don`t use too much SG or it will be murder to remove

MARCOSTAN
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Good choice, just remember using Wipe on Wipe off. When apply AIO you can give a little

pressure to clean the paint work. When u come to apply Sealant u just lightly run across the

paint work (no pressure at all).

Hope u can get great result with Klasse.

Marcos Tan

Scottwax
11-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Honestly, I`d go with Jeff`s Werkstatt Prime and Acrylic Jett. Noticably better appearance, IMO.

DJ Trackie
11-01-2005, 11:47 PM
AIO good all in one

KSG - hard to remove unless you`re a Klass guru that knows all the little tips and tricks and other weird stuff to use KSG.

I did a poll a couple of weeks ago in this forum and 40% of the people who have used it either found it too hard to remove or didn`t care for it (25% and 15% respectively)

If i were you i`d take the AIO and skip the KSG. Go with another quality sealant, such as Meguiars #21

Accumulator
11-02-2005, 09:08 AM
How many coats of Klasse sealant should/can I apply before topping it with wax. Keep in mind the car is going to be sitting in the garage, so I like to take this time for "the build" up.

FWIW, back when I had a second dog car (and could keep the MPV garaged like you`re going to do), I put six layers on said MPV and it lasted over a year when washed with Griot`s Car Wash. That was despite (very gentle) spot-claying at every wash. Considering that vehicle gets used pretty hard, and year-round, including a tough winter, I was astounded at the durability. It was still doing OK when I redid it too. Just switching from beading to sheeting. YMMV of course, but this is the only time I`ve *ever* had anything even close to a year`s worth of protection from anything.

FWIW#2- I usually use four layers of KSG on wheels, and when washed with Griot`s Car Wash, that`ll usually last from spring until I switch to snows in the early winter.

Both those FWIWs were with no Qding, BTW, just the initial build up of KSG. You`ll feel it, like a plastic coating, when you get a few layers on there.

If you put six layers on, then topped with wax, IMO you could just keep refreshing the wax topper for a long, long time. At least until some new marring started to bug you ;)

I put the KSG on so thin I can`t see it. I go by feel. I like to let it set up overnight before I wipe it off and it comes off easily. I also fog the surface with my breath while buffing it off.