PDA

View Full Version : The winter blahs

maxter
10-30-2005, 05:11 PM
:wall Well guys i go through this every winter. I bought a 2003 4r new. At the time I weighed the pros & cons of undercoating. I went with the cons - "a waste of time & $" plus the undercoating could in some cases advance the corrosion process. Now I`m afraid to drive in winter due to salt. I looked into having oil sprayed yearly i.e. KROWN. But I was told that oils sprays tend to corrode the rubber parts etc. Also mechanics don`t like working on these vechicles. I don`t like some undercoating processes that drill holes in the body. This is driving me crazy. Sorry this is long, but I need any advise you guys have out there. :xyxthumbs

Mikeyc
10-30-2005, 06:38 PM
I`m not sure where you live, but I live in New England and there is no shortage of snow or road salt here during the winter. I have never nor do I know anyone who has ever had an undercoating put on their car. I also have never and do not know anyone who has ever had a problem with underbody corrosion.

If you`re really concerned about underbody corrosion just find a good touchless car wash near you that has an underbody spray. As long as you wash off the salt regularly it will not harm your car.

qwik5o
10-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Ya I don`t think underbody corrosion is that big of an issue with today`s vehicles.

I have a 94 Mustang that has seen every winter here in Ohio since it was rolled out of the factory and the underbody is fine.

Unless it`s some kind of show 4Runner than take it easy, it`ll be fine.

gmblack3
10-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Even if you go to the car wash and use the pressure washer to spray out under the car you will be fine, the touchless is easier though.

White95Max
10-31-2005, 06:56 AM
Don`t worry about underbody corrosion on a 2003. Like the others mentioned, an underbody flush at the local car wash will be a good idea this winter. Avoid the brush car washes at all costs! The best thing to do is go to a DIY place, and use the pressure washer to spray off the underbody yourself.

Don`t be afraid to drive in winter. At least not because of that. Crappy tires are a legitimate reason for fearing winter, but snow tires can solve that fear!

You were right about the underbody coating. It`s another money-making gimmick from stealerships, similar to their "lifetime paint protection" crap.

maxter
11-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys, you eased my mind. All of you have a great day.