PDA

View Full Version : Help! Best Product for sap spots!!!

imported_Falco
10-29-2005, 05:22 PM
:help:So my girlfriend doesnt take the best care of her dolphin metallic grey audi so i decided to clean it up a little today and look what i found under all the dirt...spots from 2mm to about 6mm in diameter. I beleive they are from parking under a tree. They have a dull and somewhat rough texture but arent really raised. Before i dive into this(i`m an amatuer at this stuff, what is going to be my best product to get these out? Clay, somthing light like AIO, or something heavier?? HELP!!! :help:

HomicidalSloth
10-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Sap can be a pain. Polishes, clay, scrubbing, anything like that usually does nothing for it. Here`s what I`ve used for treesap in the past with great success:

Take some isopropyl alcohol (just plain jane rubbing alcohol), dab it on a spot, let it sit for a second, and scrub a little with a microfiber. Usually works. Sometimes you`ll have to chip the top of sap off with your fingernail if it`s really bad.

If alcohol doesn`t work, you`ll probably need to give turpentine (sp?) a go, people have used that before from tree sap (from what I understand, it`s actually made FROM tree sap, so that has something to do with why it works).

For more info, do a search, it`s been discussed before :)

a.k.a. Patrick
10-29-2005, 07:15 PM
I usually got with "naturalizer" (citrus based) or WD-40....which contains mineral spirits and/or Turpentine.....

SpoiledMan
10-29-2005, 07:58 PM
If you can find some Meguiar`s MPPC before it all disappears it`s a very good sap remover. I looked at this thread and remembered that I had a big blob on the roof of my van. It`s cool outside so the sap was on the hard side. I put a dab on the blob and let it sit for about 30 seconds and then worked it with my finger until I could feel that the surface was smooth. It *completely* cleaned the surface to the point that it feels as though it`s been clayed!

Bill D
10-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Depends on the type of sap. I know some OTC products like Tarminator may do the job, yet other saps may respond to turpentine, others isopropyl alcohol. It`s a sort of trial and error thing.

imported_Falco
10-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks all...looks like no i answer so trial and error it is!

diesel pub
10-30-2005, 08:33 AM
I use "Goo Gone" (another citrus oil based product) to get sap off easily and without worry of fire .