PDA

View Full Version : scratched windshield

rx280
10-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Has anyone had significant success at polishing a windshield to remove or at least reduce scratching or pitting?

I have quite a few long scratches on the windshield of my two-year-old car, plus two years’ and 27,000 miles’ worth of pitting. I’m to blame for the scratching: I did it using a “bad” ice scraper when the car was only a few months old. Some of the scratches can be felt with a fingernail, but just barely.

As we all know, pits accumulate very gradually, but after a while, they subtly detract from your enjoyment of a car – at least I think so. That being said, it’s the scratches that I most want to do something about.

I know there are “serious” glass-repair products available from companies like Eastwood; they’d probably remove enough glass to eliminate the scratches, but I’d have to worry about causing distortion. I’d say those would put me outside my comfort zone.

(I found a local company that does glass polishing, but I was put off by the cost estimate: several hundred dollars. Beyond that, the company doesn’t guarantee that distortion won’t occur.)

If there’s a product I can use with my PC with a reasonable expectation of making the windshield look markedly better, I’ll give it a try. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. (Feel free to suggest pad type and PC speed. My pads are Sonus DAS, by the way.)

Mikeyc
10-29-2005, 03:41 PM
You live in Massachusetts so there is no insurance deductible on glass. Smash it and get a new windshield. :D "Damn punk kids!! Luckily they only smashed my windshield."

jmsc
10-29-2005, 04:34 PM
My #1 new product finds for 2005 was AutoGlym Glass Polish (Optimum Polish was 2nd). I bought the complete glass polishing kit from Classic Motoring Accessories. Its now my goto cleaner for windows inside and outside.

I also considered the Zaino glass polish and DiamondBrite kit but went with AutoGlym.

Mike Phillips at Meguiar`s has recommended Meguiar`s #4 + PC + White Polishing Pad for outside windows but I never tried this combo. You may want to if you already own #4.

I was very happy with the results of AutoGlym. Its the best glass cleaner I`ve ever tried. I used it with the 4" discs + PC on low speeds 1-3. It does not remove scratches but it removes all dirt, hazing, grit, surface water spots. On the inside windows I used a MF appl + AutoGlym to remove the oil streaks, off-gassing, haze.

I would give it a try. The kit is only $30. It won`t remove your scratch but it will improve the look of your glass.

VWdriver
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
You have the same predicament as me. You`ll have to live with it if you don`t want to risk distortion. I may try the eastwood kit to just clean up the real minor scratches.