PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline smell in the interior

Intercooled
10-29-2005, 11:05 AM
My wife refilled our small gas cans for the lawn mower etc. She put them in her mini van in the rear area. Nothing spilled, and they were only in there for a few miles. Now the whole interior smells of gasoline. I assume from the strong vapors. We bought one of those odor eater canisters from the hardware store and has helped tremendously. But we still have an odor. Any suggestions??? :think:

Setec Astronomy
10-29-2005, 11:36 AM
You need to air it out. Leave the windows cracked if you can, or if you have it in the garage, open them up all the way. It will dissipate eventually.

Intercooled
10-29-2005, 11:55 AM
You need to air it out. Leave the windows cracked if you can, or if you have it in the garage, open them up all the way. It will dissipate eventually.

We have tried that, there is still a lingering smell.

PakShak
10-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I say light a match and see if the smell vaporizes. :D Just kidding. :LOLOL

You could try couple of shots of Fabreeze? Or leave a box of baking soda in the car for a week. :nixweiss

From the web...maybe you could try it out?

"I have used sliced potatoes. For some reason they soak up the smell. It works every time I get gas for the lawnmower and it spills on the carpet in my car."

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

Flatfour
10-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Half a pound of grinded fresh coffee under the carpets will also help, leave it for a few days and vacuum it out. BEWARE not to let it get wet !!!

brwill2005
10-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Find a professional with an ozone machine. Other than that, time is what it is going to take.

chml17l
10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
If you`re not a coffee lover like Wally you can try this. Same concept just different absorbent.

Clay cat litter or regular charcoal (the kind that doesn`t have lighter fluid). Spread odor absorbents on shallow baking pans. The more surface area you can cover the better. Roll up windows and try to have a small fan to move the interior air around. You may need to change out the absorbents daily until the smell dissipates.

White95Max
10-31-2005, 09:45 AM
I spilled gas on my car over the weekend (someone left a lot of gas in the nozzle and when I tipped it toward my gas filler hole, it spilled out on my paint :mad: ). I grabbed a WCD MF towel from the glovebox and my S&G, and wiped it off the paint. Then I threw the towel in the car (should have just thrown it away) and continued filling up. When I got home about 5 minutes later, the interior smelled like gasoline, and I was frequently being told by family members that I smelled like gasoline.

I took the towel out right when I got home, but the interior still smelled terrible. I left the windows cracked overnight, and I decided to wax my doorjambs and treat the weatherstripping the next day. I left all 4 doors wide open for several hours, and it was a breezy day as well. The car doesn`t smell anymore.

And my weatherstripping is beautiful thanks to Gummipflege! :up