PDA

View Full Version : questioning the process...

marko
10-27-2005, 11:27 AM
alright, so I`m in the middle of polishing out last year`s swirls prior to winterizing: occ / ocp / 476s x 2 under 845iw x 2. in the meantime, I received samples of klasse aio and sg in a recent order. so I`m considering applying these - post polish and pre lsp - while I have everything all taped up. I spent last night researching the k-twins and viability of post voc versions and application and cure times and man are there lots of opinions or what...

couple of questions:

do I really need a sealant in this scenario? if you think yes, then just aio or both and why?

would either or both of these interfere with or otherwise complicate my ongoing rock chip repair project (touch-up, wet sand, polish) on my front end?

slightly off topic, but what`s the best approach to polishing underneath my rear wing (not enough room for a pad and barely enough for my fingers under there), cause I really don`t want to remove it.

Accumulator
10-27-2005, 02:58 PM
alright, so I`m in the middle of polishing out last year`s swirls prior to winterizing: occ / ocp / 476s x 2 under 845iw x 2. in the meantime, I received samples of klasse aio and sg in a recent order. so I`m considering applying these - post polish and pre lsp - while I have everything all taped up.

The taping isn`t an issue as AIO and SG aren`t the kind of products you need to keep off of most surfaces. Not that I suppose it matters...

do I really need a sealant in this scenario? if you think yes, then just aio or both and why?

The AIO isn`t much of a sealant by itself, it won`t contribute anything appreciable to the Collinite you`re already planning to use. I wouldn`t bother adding the Klasse twins to the Collinite plan because I`d expect the Collinite to last all winter. No matter what you do you`ll almost certainly be redoing things come spring anyhow. I use Collinite 476S on my wife`s daily driver and I don`t put the Klasse twins under it. The 476S has always lasted through the winter for me, even on a vehicle that was outside 24/7.

would either or both of these interfere with or otherwise complicate my ongoing rock chip repair project (touch-up, wet sand, polish) on my front end?

No more than the Collinite will. Any LSP will have to be cleaned off before you do the touchups.

slightly off topic, but what`s the best approach to polishing underneath my rear wing (not enough room for a pad and barely enough for my fingers under there), cause I really don`t want to remove it.

I myself probably *would* remove it, but you could try doing it by hand, maybe putting a MF over something that will fit under the spoiler. The flat wooden sticks used to stir cans of housepaint come to mind. Or you could wrap the MF around a piece of electrical cable, which would flex/bend to conform to contours better than a stick.

marko
10-27-2005, 09:39 PM
thanks for the input. so if not aio, any thoughts whether another sealant would enhance my collinite plan if only for appearance? (after all, that`s the only reason I was considering the klasse samples.) it`s not as if I`m looking for more protection than the collinite alone. winter may be coming, but that doesn`t mean I can leave the car alone unless forced.

the tape thing was more of an aside. I`m just going leave it taped from polish to lsp this time around.

the jury`s still out on the wing. I`d sure like to find an effective method / product to do this by hand if at all possible. I`ve experienced extremely low return with scratch-x and a foam pad. thought a wet sanding pad would work other than in corners, but what wrapper could safely correct. maybe a mf pad in tight corners. is it just a quesion of product?

psl car wash
10-27-2005, 10:18 PM
alright, so I`m in the middle of polishing out last year`s swirls prior to winterizing: occ / ocp / 476s x 2

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

now thats what im talkin about!! thats my FAVORITE process!!!

marko
10-28-2005, 06:41 AM
well very cool you like the process. I was pretty sure I was on the right track. I was initially looking to 845iw for all my wheels, but with everything I`ve read I decided to try collinite over the entire car. this is for a nighthawk black pearl acura cl, with the intention of duplicating the whole thing on a gunmetal grey jeep. unfortunately I`m about a month behind on my pre-winter schedule. something about a little cycling accident on the first of oct set me back a few weeks. should be an interesting weekend though. fun stuff.

Don
10-28-2005, 06:48 AM

If the area is *almost* wide enought to admit your fingers, wouldn`t a paint stir-stick and a small foam applicator work? All you`re trying to do is put a layer of protection on there, not rub it out right?

marko
10-28-2005, 07:01 AM
actually I can fit my hand under there - for the most part. and I`m looking to polish it out rather than just protect it.

Don
10-28-2005, 07:24 AM
actually I can fit my hand under there - for the most part. and I`m looking to polish it out rather than just protect it.

Then your best bet is to remove the spoiler. I`m doing the same thing to the spoiler on my Cav, because it`s a really bad trap for water and other grunge...maybe I can figure a way to make it drain completely...

Accumulator
10-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Marko- Under the spoiler, yeah, there are better choices than Scratch-X that`ll work OK by hand. The 3M PI-III RC/MG combo I like is getting hard to find, but plenty of other polishes would work OK too. But if it were mine I`d let it go until spring and then pull the spoiler off and do it.

FWIW, when I did cars for family/friends, I preceded the Collinite with Autoglym SRP. It`s sorta like AIO but it doesn`t highlight marring as much. It makes a nice base for the Collinite. The SRP/Collinite combo was what I *always* turned to for jobs like that where I wasn`t gonna get every little flaw out of the paint.

marko
10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
alright, far too much logic here. had some good news in a conference call with the office today, so I celebrated by removing the wing and polishing my trunk lid. now maybe I can sleep at night. I definitely like to hear about effective ways to at least semi-correct by hand. I have plenty of spots that are difficult to access with nothing at all in the way but their shape.

funny, my dealer advised eleven ft/lb torque on all the bolts, which I was thinking ain`t much to hold down a six hundred dollar accessory out there in nature. turns out the thing is featherweight.

anyway it`s sitting in my living room and I`m off to go really celebrate.

cheers

Don
10-29-2005, 02:14 AM
alright, far too much logic here. had some good news in a conference call with the office today, so I celebrated by removing the wing and polishing my trunk lid. now maybe I can sleep at night. I definitely like to hear about effective ways to at least semi-correct by hand. I have plenty of spots that are difficult to access with nothing at all in the way but their shape.

funny, my dealer advised eleven ft/lb torque on all the bolts, which I was thinking ain`t much to hold down a six hundred dollar accessory out there in nature. turns out the thing is featherweight.

anyway it`s sitting in my living room and I`m off to go really celebrate.

cheers

Did you polish & seal the underside of the wing too? :chuckle:

marko
10-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Did you polish & seal the underside of the wing too? :chuckle:

I did. in the living room. naked. with my girlfriend.

god I love detailing.

hope I don`t get kicked out for saying that...