PDA

View Full Version : A little help from PC users

Pages : [1] 2

Sinner5
10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I got the Porter Cable last year and have used it a bunch. It works great, but I am having some problems getting it just right. There are a few things I would really appreciate help on.

I`m not sure of the best speed to keep it on. I`ve searched and 3-4 seems to be the concensus. Anyone think differently?

The major problem is the application and removal. Here`s what happens, critique the problems:

I apply the product using the correct pad, but when I go to take it off is when I have the problem. I tried using the buffing bonnets, microfiber bonnets, and by hand to remove it, but nothing really seems to work right. It seems like there are areas that it is REALLY hard to get off of the car. I literally have to rub it hard to get it off completely. Will the bonnets work or should I just remove it by hand? I have tried them and they don`t seem to do a very good job. Does the speed setting during application or removal have anything to do with this? Is it possibly the wax that I am using that is the problem? (meguiars gold class, but I bought the bottle of wax 3 years ago) How long should I let it sit on the car before I attempt to remove it? (am I letting it stay on too long or trying to take it off too quickly).

Some people have said that it may be from too much product, but I really don`t use that much at all.

I do spend a good amount of time working it in, but is it possible that I`m doing it too long? My biggest problem that I want to get rid of is the wax and polish "setting" into the paint and having to be rubbed out rather than buffed out. Should I throw out the current products and try something new?

I am pretty good at detailing the car and love the polisher, but I want to get it right so I am not rubbing the crap out of the car in order to get the wax or polish off of it. I know, it`s a whole lot of questions at once, but after trying many different things, I just want to get it on and off as smooth as possible. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

White95Max
10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I dislike the old Gold Class. It was always a pain to remove from my experience. I guess there`s a new version of GC that`s been out for a while, but I haven`t bothered to try it. I`ve heard that it`s much easier to use though.

I think 3-4 is about right to apply waxes/cleaners. GC is a cleaner wax.

I also think you may be applying it too thick. You should have a very thin layer that is almost transparent. If you leave a film that thin, you should have no problem wiping it off, even if it`s Gold Class!

:welcome to Autopia! :wavey

psl car wash
10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
I also think you may be applying it too thick. You should have a very thin layer that is almost transparent. If you leave a film that thin, you should have no problem wiping it off, even if it`s Gold Class!

:welcome to Autopia! :wavey

i agree with Max :hifive: ....the thinner the BETTER........just make sure you cover the entire surface very throughly

Sinner5
10-26-2005, 07:20 PM
To give you an idea of how little product I put on, I make an X on the pad with the tip of the bottle skimming the pad. It leaves 2 lines on each side of the tip about as big around as a piece of string. That amount will be used to do the entire hood. Is that still too much?

I think that I will go ahead and try my luck with another product and throw out the GC. I have heard that NXT liquid is a good all around wax that does a pretty good job. I`ll give that a shot.

Any other thoughts?

Black240SX
10-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Maybe you are working the wax too much when applying it? Try hand applying wax to a section of your car and see if that makes a difference.

How long are you letting it dry before removing it?

Black240SX
10-26-2005, 07:38 PM
From your description, I don`t think you are using too much wax. If anything, maybe not enough. Yes, it is possible to use too little.

White95Max
10-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah that wouldn`t be too much.

I`d give NXT a shot. I personally prefer paste waxes, but it`s all a matter of opinion/preference. NXT is much better than GC IMO.

Sinner5
10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Maybe you are working the wax too much when applying it? Try hand applying wax to a section of your car and see if that makes a difference.

How long are you letting it dry before removing it?

I`ve tried letting it sit for about 20-30 min and also tried removing right after I put it on. same results either way.

Would using too little cause it to stick to the paint like that?

Black240SX
10-26-2005, 07:51 PM
20-30 minutes is plenty of time, so that is not the problem.

Maybe the wax is drying out while you are applying it and making a gummy mess?

White95Max
10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Possibly. If it`s really thin, you may heat it up somewhat and cause that. :nixweiss

In all honesty, you rarely hear of people applying waxes too thin. Everybody always loads on the wax thinking that they`ll get a thicker layer left on the paint.

Sinner5
10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I`ll try using a little more wax and not working it so long. I`ll see how that works out.

Mos tof the research I`ve done says use wax sparingly and work it in till it`s gone. Maybe I took it a little too far.

Mike-in-Orange
10-26-2005, 09:05 PM
I`ll try using a little more wax and not working it so long. I`ll see how that works out.

Mos tof the research I`ve done says use wax sparingly and work it in till it`s gone. Maybe I took it a little too far.

I thought you were supposed to work a polish for a longish period of time, varying of course on the abrasiveness of the polish, etc, and then wiped off before it dries. Waxes should just be applied evenly and allowed to haze. I can`t see how it would be different doing either by hand or machine, except of course polishing by hand is a whole lot more tiring than doing so by machine. Who here hand applies wax and rubs it in until almost gone? That seems contrary to everything I`ve ever heard.

White95Max
10-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah a wax or sealant really just needs to be applied to the surface. A lot of consumer-line waxes are going to tell you to "work the product into the paint" because you have to give it some agitation to allow the cleaners to work to their full effect. Most consumer-line waxes contain cleaners, to give the one-step-does-all effect that most people want from a wax.

Djmigs
10-26-2005, 11:09 PM
4-5 cleaners

3.5polish

3 wax

White95Max
10-27-2005, 08:37 AM
3.5polish

Polishes take forever to break down when used with the PC on speed 3-4. I use 6 most of the time...occasionally 5.