PDA

View Full Version : Do successive layers of Klasse SG increase shine?

Surfer8210
10-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Trying to determine whether I should garage the car for a few days and apply a few more layers (other than the single layer I currently have)? Priority is the shine. However, I barely notice a difference between the shine of Klasse AIO and the Klasse SG. Not sure if its worth my time to apply more layers of the SG.

What do you think?

2wheelsx2
10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
No, I don`t think it adds more shine. However, I do think for certain colours like silver and white, it can add a bit more "depth" - not sure if depth is the right term, since white and silver usually don`t have the depth that black or navy does. The biggest thing you`ll notice is durability. You`ll find that it last much longer. So if you like to apply product (not wax toppers, but the sealant)then don`t layer it. I can`t quantify it, as my car parked outside with 2 layers of SG has lasted more than 6 months prior to me reapplying. :ca

imported_COBRyan
10-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Honestly, I was never too impressed with the look of SG. It has never been my experience that multiple layers of SG will increase the look, but durability definitely seems to be better. I use Klasse SG on cars that I normally would not care much about the look, but need excellent durability. It is good for a daily driver vehicle which might be neglected.

4830Deuce
10-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I voted yes, the way SG is applied leaves some parts of the car un coated because of its color and the lack of product needed for proper application...there for going over the car a couple more times will cover those untreated area`s thus increasing shine...aswell as depth although it my be pretty much unnoticable... :eek:

-Justin

maesal
01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I was never too impressed with the look of SG. It has never been my experience that multiple layers of SG will increase the look, but durability definitely seems to be better. I use Klasse SG on cars that I normally would not care much about the look, but need excellent durability. It is good for a daily driver vehicle which might be neglected.

And what sealant do you use when you care about the look?

Will AIO improve the look? More than SG?

Thanks.

imported_COBRyan
01-11-2006, 01:58 AM
And what sealant do you use when you care about the look?

Will AIO improve the look? More than SG?

Thanks.

When I want to impress, I use UPP. UPP is probably the best looking sealant to my eyes. AIO is more of a paint cleaner, so it will provide a better foundation for the SG. It`s not a product I would recommend using by itself since it doesn`t seem to have much protective qualities nor does it look good by itself. It does clean the paint VERY well and is perfect for using under a sealant. So AIO will improve the look because of its cleaning ability more than anything else. I think Klasse designed AIO & SG to be used together.

cwcad
01-11-2006, 04:18 AM
AIO and SG are a terrific combination. When I have used SG the vehicle looks as good as it is going to get after one layer. I add layers to get complete paint surface protection.

I have problems applying a thin enough coat to make buffing easier. Always seem to get it on to thick. I know it is my problem. It is not just SG that I have problems with. SG looks good. But have found other product that look better. Though very few last longer.

I would never use AIO with out topping it with a good sealant. AIO will work as a stand alone product but will not last as long as advertised in my experience. The Klasse Twins were made for each other. Good shine ...Terrific durability.

shortspark
01-11-2006, 04:48 AM
I agree the Klasse twins were made for each other. You can use other products over AIO but do not use AIO by itself; a sealant of some sort is necessary for durability and SG is as good as any and better than most. Having said that, I do plan on experimenting the next time with Jeff`s Acrylic Jett. I don`t think the results will be that much better than SG but maybe it will be a tad easier.

I put two coats of AIO on and the first layer of SG all in one day. I wait 24 hours and put a second coat of SG and then wait another 24 hours for the final coat. I think 3 applications of SG is enough for at least six months and I don`t think additional coats are worth the time and effort. BTW, I use the WOWO method and it is fairly easy but I too tend to use too much product sometimes.

I have a billet silver truck and the Klasse are all I use. If I had a darker color I might want to go to a carnuba wax but Klasse works well with the color I have. To add a little more shine now and then and bring it back to life after a wash, I use Menzernas High Gloss Acrylic Shield - a great QD if you can find it.

Accumulator
01-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I always think SG looks better (on silver) after the third and fourth layers but I don`t see any improvement after that. I don`t really care for the look either, preferring UPP and BF. Can`t beat the durability of multiple layers of SG though. And if you wash carefully it seems to protect against micromarring pretty well too. And no etching from bird bombs on anything I`ve used SG on, at least not that I can recall.

shortspark
01-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Just to mention that tonight I tried a home made QD formula someone posted here a few weeks ago. I used three parts distilled water to one part Klasse SG and put it in a mister bottle (like the ones used for perfume). It worked great! In fact, this may be my QD of choice, replacing the excellent but the more expensive and hard to find Menzerna HGAS which had been my favorite.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-11-2006, 09:20 PM

Well said.

Honestly, I think after about 3-4 layers, you start to mute the natural look the polished surface provides......

ceiol
01-11-2006, 09:37 PM
1 coat of SG = good

2 coats of SG = better

3 coats of SG = minimally better, if at all

4+ coats of SG = no difference to me

with that said, I stick to 2 coats

Rolla
01-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I say do 2 coats, thats what I do. It looks better with 2, I never bothered to try more.

Accumulator
01-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I like more layers. It can last an incredibly long time and (IMO) protects against some very light micromarring. It`s convenient to be able to just wash a vehicle for months on end without having to really *detail* it. Some shampoos (e.g., Griot`s) don`t seem to strip KSG at all; you can wash for ages without redoing it if you have plenty of layers on there.