PDA

View Full Version : Best wash mitt ? ? ?

Pages : [1] 2

DetailingFOOL
10-25-2005, 01:11 PM
What the Best wash mitt money can buy? And why do you think it is the best.

And also how do you know when its time to replace it.

P.S. Do you guys think the wash mitt is the main culprit of swirl marks

Thanks ….BMG

White95Max
10-25-2005, 01:53 PM
The wash mitt probably isn`t the main source of swirls, it`s the dirt that is stuck in the mitt that is getting rubbed across the paint. That`s why the two bucket method is a good idea.

My favorite so far is the heavy sheepskin from ExcelDetail. It`s the thickest, softest, and most expensive one I own (still under $10 though).

Black240SX
10-25-2005, 01:56 PM
I like sheepskin mitts the best.

I use the synthetic ones for wheels, wheel wells, and rocker panels, though.

ramp
10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
The problem with natural sheepskin is you remove oils from the hide every time you wash your car. This dries out the hide and causes it to disintegrate in 6 to 12 months.

Microfiber wash mitts are not only softer than natural sheepskin, they will not degrade with repeated washings.

ZaneO
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I use Eurow sheepskin mitts.

I do not like and do not recommend microfiber mitts for washing. They hold far too much debris without releasing it.

Black240SX
10-25-2005, 02:47 PM
After using my mitts, both sheepskin and synthetic, I clean them in my washing machine with laundry soap. Then they go in the dryer on high.

Indeed, the sheepskin mitts do disintigrate after 6 to 12 months. I consider that to be acceptable.

White95Max
10-25-2005, 02:49 PM
The sheepskin mitts from Excel are the Eurow brand. The tag says so.

jmsc
10-25-2005, 03:09 PM
CarCareOnline has the best sheepskin that I have used so far. It has a genuine leather lining inside and is made with the thumb which I like for easy handling. It does not shed nor fall apart. It`s easy to clean and releases dirt well. They easily last 1 year but I throw them out or use them on my beater car. When used on my older car they will hold up for 2 years then they get dirty and out they go.

I`m currently testing the newest Waynestowel MF wash mitt. Its supersoft and releases dirt well but has no inner lining. So my verdict is still out on them.

From personal experience and from reading these boards for over 3 years, the washing and subsequent drying process is where most scratches/swirls come from.

My advice. Use a foam gun, 2-3 mitts per wash and blot dry (remember that a well-waxed car makes drying easier) and kiss those swirls goodbye.

kpagel
10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
The problem with natural sheepskin is you remove oils from the hide every time you wash your car. This dries out the hide and causes it to disintegrate in 6 to 12 months.

Microfiber wash mitts are not only softer than natural sheepskin, they will not degrade with repeated washings.

Considering that the sheepskin mitts can be had for under $10, I have no problem replacing them every few months.

Bill D
10-25-2005, 04:05 PM

I have a few mitts in that age range and they`re pretty good. May be one or two have been demoted exclusively to wheel or undercarriage duty. It might be how I wash them and/or that I dry in the dryer. This is done promptly, immediately after the car washing session is done.

If I were to use MF mitts, they`d probably be for those uses: wheel and undercarriage but with more heavily used sheepskin mitts making their way to that duty,there`s no need for me to get another type of mitt for those separate purposes.

opass
10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
The wash mitt probably isn`t the main source of swirls, it`s the dirt that is stuck in the mitt that is getting rubbed across the paint. That`s why the two bucket method is a good idea.

My favorite so far is the heavy sheepskin from ExcelDetail. It`s the thickest, softest, and most expensive one I own (still under $10 though).

ExcelDetail

Why? Good price and fast shipping.

TGates
10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I wonder if an MF mitt would be better suited for QEW duty, as you would WANT the mitt to hold as much of the debris as possible with each small section, then you wash it out in the rinse water, or better yet grab a second MF that has been rinsed already and switch them between the buckets.

I also use the Eurow wash mitts when washing traditionally, especially on my dark blue car. You can get them locally at Wal-Mart for less than $5 I think, so replacing them every several months isn`t a big deal at all.

I have never tried a chenille mitt, but I know they are highly regarded by some.

Bill D
10-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Just beware regarding some chenille mitts, they might lint like crazy in the washer or dryer :eek:

Richt
10-26-2005, 12:28 AM
I like the Eurow ones, but my current choice is the ones David sellss in the Autopia Store.

Mark77
10-26-2005, 12:45 AM
My absolute favourite is Meguiars ultra plush wash mitt. I have a few Eurow mitts and they don`t hold togeather very well. The meguiars mitt produces suds as you wash, no other mitt has done that for me.