PDA

View Full Version : What`s The Difference?

05Sleeper
10-24-2005, 06:52 PM
What would the difference be in the look of Carnuba on top of WG as opposed to Carnuba on top of WG or BF or UPP?

Sealants like WG or BF or UPP or FMJ all give off a very wet look. RMG and #7 are both used underneath Sealants and waxes to give more of a wet look. So, what would the difference be?

05Sleeper
10-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Anyone? I am just trying to learn the tricks of the pros here! lol

Accumulator
10-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Can`t be of much help as I`ve never topped BF/UPP and I`ve never tried WG. But having topped other synthetics, I`d say that the differences between the sealants won`t be as noticeable once you get a carnauba on top of them.

Wettest looks (and otherwise the best looks too, BTW) I ever got on silver (Audi silver FWIW) came from meticulous prep, starting with the rotary. Both our silver Audis look fine by most any standard, and one has UPP over 1Z Pro MP and the other has #16 over 1Z WPS. Totally different types of products, oughta look completely different. But while there`s a subtle difference you can see side-by-side, unless you`re comparing the indentical cars that way you`d be awfully hard pressed to say there`s any difference at all between them. Park them outside, twenty feet apart, and you`d probably never see it even if you knew what you were looking for. Well, the S8 might look a little better ;) but it`s not a daily driver.

I sure wouldn`t top the UPP with a carnauba based on how carnaubas look on that paint. And not topping the UPP has let me just keep adding more for over a year- it doesn`t seem to need cleaned off and properly redone the way carnaubas sometimes do. If you want something more "carnauba like" than UPP, use BF. It`ll darken that particular paint a little too BTW. But after a few washes there won`t be much remaining difference, at that point UPP and BF look pretty much the same.

Note that these days I only use glazes such as the Meg`s Pure Polishes when I know I can`t get a finish truly marring free or when I`m dealing with old single stage. When I used them on Audi b/c it didn`t make nearly as much of a difference as a more thorough polishing (with abrasives) would have. Not a bad look, but not even close to what I`m doing now. Come to think of it, I don`t think I`ve used a glaze like that on an Audi since using #3 on my S6 wagon nearly ten years ago. That one had #3 topped with Souveran and no, it didn`t create a bunch of depth or any of the other "glaze/carnauba attributes". There`s only so much depth to be found in that paint and I can get it with a product like UPP/BF if I prep right.

05Sleeper
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, where can I learn how to prep my car as meticulously as you do? I guess that is the main key to success here. I know that Audi Silver is phenominal and all, but I would relaly like it to look its absolute best!!!