PDA

View Full Version : What exactly stays on the car ?

Flatfour
10-24-2005, 08:29 AM
I was wondering (and never found a real answwer), what part of the polish/sealant/wax stays on the car ?

I mean, when applying/buffing, what part of the product stay onto the paint ?

Is it a layer that you cannot see, or is it just the "feel" that everything is smooth or something else ?

I was asking myself this because in the end, you cannot see anything changed, only "feel" that the car is polished/waxed...

drewski59
10-24-2005, 08:53 AM
A polish usually doesn`t leave anything behind(like Z-PC or Mezerna), but many contain oils and fillers which remain on the surface of the clearcoat and hopefully give the illusion of less swirls.

A true wax will not remove the oils left behind by the polish, but `coat` it with a protective barrier.

After a polish and a wax, you should see a difference in appearance compared to just bare paint, since you are actually seeing the paint THROUGH the wax and oils/fillers.

As for sealant, they also leave a microscopic layer of protection, but if you use a close to optically-perfect sealant like Z2-Pro(I think 99.9% clarity) You`re mostly seeing the paint beneath the sealant.

This is MO from what I`ve learned. If anyone can clarify or delve deeper, please do so. I don`t think I`m very good at explaining this concept.:)

JustinR32
10-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Think of it as a FILM rather than as a layer; it`s easier to conceptualize that way. "Layer" gives the impression of a bunch of discrete particles, like a layer of sand covered by a layer of dirt. "Film" more accurately conveys the reality of a thin skin of product that is one thing, a film.

Tom

Glossmaster
10-24-2005, 03:34 PM
A polish usually doesn`t leave anything behind(like Z-PC or Mezerna), but many contain oils and fillers which remain on the surface of the clearcoat and hopefully give the illusion of less swirls.

A true wax will not remove the oils left behind by the polish, but `coat` it with a protective barrier.

After a polish and a wax, you should see a difference in appearance compared to just bare paint, since you are actually seeing the paint THROUGH the wax and oils/fillers.

As for sealant, they also leave a microscopic layer of protection, but if you use a close to optically-perfect sealant like Z2-Pro(I think 99.9% clarity) You`re mostly seeing the paint beneath the sealant.

This is MO from what I`ve learned. If anyone can clarify or delve deeper, please do so. I don`t think I`m very good at explaining this concept.:)

Well said! :clap: