PDA

View Full Version : Will cold affect detailing products?

ramp
10-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I keep my stuff (Meguires Gold Wash, QD, Scratch-X, Liquid Wax, etc., and 303, Connolly leather cleaner and care stuff, etc., etc.) in my unheated garage. I don`t think it ever gets much below 40, if it even gets below 40, in there, but I was wondering if the cold could harm the products. Don`t think I have ever seen any "freeze warnings" on these products, but am concerned.

Any advise?

DrSauekraut
10-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, cold weather will affect the longevity and performance of certain products. As a rule of thumb I keep my compounds, polishes, and LSP’s inside . . . other things like cleaners, dressings, and wash, remain in the garage.

Mikeyc
10-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I second that. I`ve learned from experience that basically any product you would apply to the paint becomes garbage if you allow it to freeze. One year, many bottles of compound, polish, and wax went right in the trash because they froze. When the products freeze then the different components tend to seperate out. All I was left with was a watery mess with chunky stuff in it.

Gonzo
10-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Keep them in the house WHEN temperatures below 40 degrees to be safe. I have applied house temperature AIO & SG at about 32 degrees with no apparent ill effects.

Edited 10/24/05 to correct a mis-statement ("at" becomes "WHEN") - sorry `bout that folks :wall

Hey, Moe!
10-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Agreed. I keep my "stuff" indoors, and so, when I want to use them in cold - 40 degrees or so - weather, they are still are fairly easy to use.

Once, I did leave some things out in the cold, and they froze. They were unusuable. I learned from that.

In fact, I just cleared off a shelf on the stairs to the basement for the "regular" products, for easy reach on a "good" day. The rest are in a plastic container nearby, still out of harm`s way.

Glossmaster
10-23-2005, 06:43 PM
I keep my arsenal inside my master bedroom closet in two 50 gallon rubbermaid totes at room temp year round. Better to be safe than sorry!!

4830Deuce
10-23-2005, 07:08 PM
I actually just brought mine in today...lowest it has gotten in my garage is mid 40`s but I dont want to risk it!

-Justin

imported_Qship
10-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I keep my stuff in the basement.

MorBid
10-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Usually if you read the label on a product there will be a warning if it needs to be protected from freezing or not.

Personally, I leave mine in the "work box" I usually keep them in. The box stays in an unheated part of the house downstairs.

GTScott
10-24-2005, 04:28 AM
Great advise. I guess I will bring my good stuff into the house now. While my garage is heated, it still gets pretty cold out there.

-GT

imported_NYV6Coupe
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
I keep all my products in the basement once the temps start heading south of 35*. Why take a chance with products that are relatively expensive.

Many years ago in the 80`s I left a bottle of Windex in the garage over the winter. In the spring I noticed it had separated (into what I don`t know) so I shook the bottle & used it.

What a mistake!!!

It streaked, smeared, and was generally a bear to get off .... this is WINDEX I`m talking about. I washed the windshield with soapy water & I still had some residue.

Eventually I picked up a fresh bottle of Windex & everything cleaned-up OK.

When in doubt, err on the side of caution.