PDA

View Full Version : toy test: importance of prep for TurtleWax Platinum paste and liquid

ktlimq
10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Surface used: inner bottom surface of a stainless steel pot in my kitchen.

Product tested:

TurtleWax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Liquid Wax T-412R (This one has very small hall opening. Some product with the same part number T-412R has sicker seal. After the seal is removed, the hole area of the neck is open. The older T-412 has label without "shake well" instruction.)

TurtleWax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Paste Wax T-411R

Tools for application and wiping: paper towel.

[First test without prep]

I applied the liquid wax with on the half of the surface, left the other half untreated.

I could see that the waxed surface sheeted off water much better.

I poured properly diluted car wash, and gently wiped the surface.

I rinsed the surface and saw water sheeting: the wax was almost gone.

[Second test after prepping the surface with Meguiars #9]

I applied 1/3 of the surface with the paste wax, other 1/3 with the liquid wax, and left the other 1/3 untreated (actually some oil from #9 remained).

I saw water sheeting. I could easily see the difference of sheeting between waxed areas and unwaxed area.

Both waxes resisted wiping with Mothers Back-to-Black (the manufacturer says this product can remove wax on paint - not the wax residue, but the protective wax layer on paint), Vinylex, and car wash.

They also resisted gentle wiping with dish washing detergent (I wiped gently with low pressure, but I wiped more times than I usually do for washing average dishes).

I rinsed the surface, washed it with car wash, and rinsed it again. The waxed areas sheeted off water much better than the untreated area.

[Summary]

Poor prep -> the wax is gone after car washing

Good prep -> the same wax is detergent resistant (at least for short time)

wannafbody
10-22-2005, 06:09 PM
stainless steel is different than clear paint- that may make a difference in how well the polymers bond to the surface. It is possible that the oils in #9 actually did help the polymers bond to the stainless steel. Your experiemnt tends to support what I`ve read on MOL about polishing oils and polymer bonding.

ktlimq
10-22-2005, 08:12 PM
It is possible that the oils in #9 actually did help the polymers bond to the stainless steel.

In addition to that, cleaning might have affected the result too. Although the pot had been cleaned with dish wash detergent and rinsed well, the paper towel became grey after wiping many times with #9.