PDA

View Full Version : Uneven shades after waxing dark paint

Big Kahuna
01-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Do you know causes uneven "shading" on the finish. I have a Camry with dark blue metalic paint and the finish is in good shape. I apply products like Race Glaze or the like by hand. Upon wiping it off, I`ve noticed the appearance does not appear consistant.

I hope I`ve describe it well enough.

Patrick
01-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Its hard to say what actually causes it, but its normally remedied by letting the surface gather some heat and sunlight. This will thin the oils out again and allow for easier removal with a microfiber, also use an instant detailer after your lat wipedown.....The suns warmth is the best kept secret i can share with you though.....

Nickc0844
01-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I have also heard that this is caused by uneven application of the product (i.e. leaving a "thick" spot). I agree with Patrick though, I always use a Detail Spray after my final step when I am finished.

Bill D
01-28-2005, 11:14 AM
I had something similar happen, thankfully in small isolated spots, while polishing:

I was polishing using my halogens and my trouble light to inspect for remaining defects and the heat from the three lights must`ve caused the solvents in the polish or the alcohol or Prep All wipe to evaporate way too quickly. :doh There was a noticeable lighter spot in the paint where I was working. No fear, another pass with FPII and adjusting the proximity of the light fixed it right away.

Bob
01-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I find it is from uneven application and maybe too much product in spots. On hand applications I usually put it down by hand then even it out with the pc and a very fine pad.

dalmore
01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
I have seen this on my Tacoma and like Bill D - I attributed it to heat. The Tacoma hood is not insulated and even though I had just washed the truck, the hot engine from a couple hours of driving was still heating the hood. I could be wrong on the cause but I`ve had no repeats since I started insuring the hood was cool. :dunno

tooklean
01-28-2005, 09:13 PM
The term is called blushing its when you apply wax some areas of the car get more than others (wax) but as the guys previously stated use a detail spray after your final step to solve the problem

bigron62
01-29-2005, 02:58 AM
ive had similar problem with my black truck .. sometimes after applying a sealer i dont like the way it looks but after a few days and a wash job it mellows out.. i would try some different product on it .. i like carnuba on black it gives a deep dark finish .. i dont like black real bright.. so i dont use a sealer on black anymore ..

Big Kahuna
01-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I`ll be working on the Camry this weekend and will test the various comments that was mentioned.

kimwallace
01-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Before evening out the look with a QD ...
I like to wait until the wax or sealant completely cures before wiping it off with a QD spray. I might be wrong, but with a lot of products being water soluble, I think the QD could remove some of the protection if used too soon.
Just my opinion ...

Thomas Dekany
01-31-2005, 12:30 AM
I used to think that it is applying too much product but I think it is more of how much pressure I apply while spreading the wax. That is why I use the pc to do it. It happens only on the hoods of cars where I want t omake sure that it is "perfect". QD never helped but I guess who ever suggested to wait for the wax to cure is right. With the *next* wash, it is gone.

I may be way off, so sorry if I am giving out false info.