PDA

View Full Version : Advise from the pro`s on drying black cars

Pages : [1] 2

00GREENMACHINE
01-27-2005, 04:15 PM
I need some advised from some professionals on what is needed to dry a black VW Passat WITHOUT leaving marks,scratches on the cc. I have a absorber and it works very well. I always spray the car down good and to rinse it I remove the nozzle and let the water run over it so it will sheet.

I purchased a big big towel from pak-sak over a year ago and did not like it because you cant really ring it out and had to wipe over the surface several times to get it dried.

Please help me with some suggestive products you use.
( NO BLOWERS) :beer

Bill D
01-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Several more of those Pakshak or other quality ww mfs. I personally refrain from the Absorber. I also QD the surface to act as barrier from marring while drying. I still use a car dryer -like a small leaf blower- to get rid of the water in hinges and seams.

e-klasse
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Several more of those Pakshak or other quality ww mfs. I personally refrain from the Absorber. I also QD the surface to act as barrier from marring while drying. I still use a car dryer -like a small leaf blower- to get rid of the water in hinges and seams.
I`m no pro, but I agree... on my black finish I use ww/mf`s from Poorboys and PAC, and use 4 or 5 large towels before I go for the blower and then 3 or 4 after, all with little or no pressure. I never considered using a QD for added protection when drying, but I like the idea. Thanks Bill! :bigups

Bill D
01-27-2005, 04:50 PM
:bigups Can`t be too careful. WWs and QD are a lot more renewable than your finish.

tubafeak
01-27-2005, 05:11 PM
I think that if you have a blower, it`s the best way to start out drying, provided your blower is filtered, you don`t want little dirt particles hitting your car at 200 MPH (save that for driving :LOLOL ). After that, a WW is the best thing IMO to use. I use the Cobra WW from Autogeek, 2 for $20, it`s a pretty good deal.

cgc2
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
..for those using a leaf blower to aid in drying, is it electric I assume vs. gas ?
If gas, I would think theres a chance of burnt fuel/oil out the exhaust causing
smearing or such if it comes into the air stream of the blower.

Bill D
01-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah, all of those I`ve ever encountered who use an electric leaf blower do so for that very reason.

Mark Waldron
01-27-2005, 05:55 PM
For Christmas I purchased a Metro Master Blaster and I`ll never dry my vehicles by hand again. It has tons of power and puts my old leaf blower to shame. I can COMPLETELY dry my Dodge Dakota, including wheels and tires, in about 10 minutes. I have the hard fiberglass tonneau cover and I can blow the water off from either side. When I say completely dry, I mean 100% dry, including all cracks and crevices. There not cheap, and the advice that others have posted, should minimize your concerns.

Poorboy
01-27-2005, 06:06 PM
I would advise getting a good stock of WW mf towels....you can also use your absorber but only blot with it...NO WIPING !!...

tubafeak
01-27-2005, 06:16 PM
I actually use compressed air with a rubber-tipped blow gun. It`s a heck of a compressor and I could, conceivably, dry about four cars off with the air the tank holds. :drool

00GREENMACHINE
01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
i belive the ww I got from pak is not a microfiber. Are the Waffle Weave ones better. I point I did not like about the big blue was it seemed to puch water more than it absorbed.

WHat about the MF chamois at poorboys.com?

stluciedetail
01-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Pick up a water sprite. i think its the best ive used.

G35stilez
01-27-2005, 10:23 PM
I also QD the surface to act as barrier from marring while drying.

Proof that there will be always new things to learn while detailing. Thanks Bill. I`ll be trying this out :)

Bill D
01-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Sean : :bigups

To the best of my knowledge, all the towels PakShak sells are mf.

usdm
01-28-2005, 12:52 AM
I also QD the surface to act as barrier from marring while drying. I still use a car dryer -like a small leaf blower- to get rid of the water in hinges and seams.

Never thought about using a qd for help with drying. What kind of QD
do you suggest?