PDA

View Full Version : Mothers S&G vs. megs #7

novadude
10-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Are these products basically the same type of product (non-abrasive polishing oils), or are they a little different? Has anyone used both, and which did you like better? Would Mother`s S&G work OK under Megs #26, or would durability be compromised? What about #7 under #26?

Alfisti
10-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Yes, they`re both the same type of product..and yes, I`ve used (and like) both.

Which I like depends on what I want to achieve and how much time and patience I have.

#7 is very rich in oils which accounts for the very wet look it achieves. This also accounts for it being the most difficult to use surface care product in the history of the world. It takes much time and the correct technique to use it. (There`s a great tutorial my Mike Phillips in the Archives)

Mothers S&G is an excellent glaze equal to any Megs glazes in looks, except for #7. Its also dead easy to use and very forgiving.

I reserve the #7 for solid coloured single stage paints, and use S&G with the rest.

You may also want to try the Clearkote, glazes like VM and RMG, which reportedly give a better result.

Accumulator
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
I oughta try the S&G sometime, if I can ever wean myself off the #5. Had to :chuckle: about Alfisti`s description of #7`s uhm, user-friendly nature ;)

Would Mother`s S&G work OK under Megs #26, or would durability be compromised? What about #7 under #26?

Glazes will be fine under #26. While I haven`t tried the S&G, it`s still a safe bet that *any* glaze will be OK under that wax.

05Sleeper
10-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Would the Meg`s S&G be good for concealment of swirls? I also have some VM, but I am not sure which would be better for the Dark Blue RSX. Can I Use VM over the S&G? Or would I get a better look out of S&G, YMW, CMW?

pontman43
10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Would the Meg`s S&G be good for concealment of swirls? I also have some VM, but I am not sure which would be better for the Dark Blue RSX. Can I Use VM over the S&G? Or would I get a better look out of S&G, YMW, CMW?

To answer your question about MOTHERS S&G go here: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63128

05Sleeper
10-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks, but that did not anwer my questions about the S&G and the swirls...

wannafbody
10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
#9 has the same oils as #7 but is easier to use-it fills scratches very well

Accumulator
10-21-2005, 04:16 PM
All these products will fill to some extent, that`s what they`re made to do. But whether you`ll be satisfied with how well they do it is something you won`t really know until you try.

Alfisti
10-21-2005, 04:20 PM

If you primarily want to hide swirls I think S&G would be more effective as it contains china clay (like #7) as a filler, as well as wetting oils.

Its easy to use if you apply thinly (the rule for all products) and apply and remove one panel at a time (if its warm - otherwise half the car at once works well).

I think Pontman was directing you to this thread: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?p=626112#post626112

Alfisti
10-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I oughta try the S&G sometime, if I can ever wean myself off the #5. Had to :chuckle: about Alfisti`s description of #7`s uhm, user-friendly nature ;)

Sometimes hyperbole gets it off ones chest more effectively. :D

I haven`t tried #5, but I have tried #3, which was very effective and easy with machine application (naturally).

pontman43
10-21-2005, 09:51 PM
If you primarily want to hide swirls I think S&G would be more effective as it contains china clay (like #7) as a filler, as well as wetting oils.

Its easy to use if you apply thinly (the rule for all products) and apply and remove one panel at a time (if its warm - otherwise half the car at once works well).

I think Pontman was directing you to this thread: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?p=626112#post626112

Ya, my bad, it was still there, but a link within a link. Thanks man.

05Sleeper
10-22-2005, 08:01 PM
I think that I am going to try the Meg`s Seal and Glaze underneath NXT. If people have been using #7 under NXT, then the S&G should be fine, right?

pontman43
10-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I think that I am going to try the Meg`s Seal and Glaze underneath NXT. If people have been using #7 under NXT, then the S&G should be fine, right?

Seal & Glaze is a Mother`s product not a Meguiars. Just dont want you searching for days and not finding the Megs S&G ;)

Alfisti
10-22-2005, 10:59 PM

There`s no harm in trying.

My only thoughts are that NXT`s cleaners may remove some of the glaze. Other options to your dilemma is to apply a non-cleaning LSP over the S&G, like Top Coat; or try NXT by itself, as it has very good hiding ability. :nixweiss