PDA

View Full Version : tried NXT - Not what I expected

Pages : [1] 2

SamIam
10-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Walking though Pep Brothers, I decided to try NXT paste. I had read alot about it, both good and bad, and thought i`d give it a try. My thoughts:

Price: Higher than I expected. I believe it was $18.50, but there was a money back guarantee on it, which convinced me to give it a try. Figured if I don`t like it, I can always get my money back, if I do like it, even better. However, seemed like a lot of money, seeing as the 845 I bought and Glanz Wax I bought both were less expensive.

First impressions: Didn`t really like anything about it. Subjectively, I didn`t like the smell. I didn`t think it went on and off that easy. The surface was well prepped, having been previously polished with 1Z MP Pro till swirl free and topped with collinite 476. I prepped again by claying and using 1Z MP Pro till surface looked fabulous. At first, I seemed to put it on a bit heavy, and then got the hang of it, but it just didn`t seem to go on smoothly. Maybe it was product, maybe it was me. Anyways, didn`t really think it was that easy to take off either. First it seemed oily, so I let it dry some more, but then it got tougher to take off. I usually find the whole applying paste wax a relaxing event, this wasn`t. This was work. More so than even the Collinite I use.

Results: Again, not impressed. I thought it didn`t look as good as the Collinite, S100, Glanz Wax or even old #26 I`ve previously used on the finish. I actually like #26 MUCH better than the NXT.

Finally, today I drive through a rainstorm. Part of the car done with NXT, I had medium size and small beads, not particularly tight, that refused to roll off the paint. However, the part of the hood, roof, and side that I left with the Collinite Fleetwax was bone dry when I wheeled into the garage. Driving down the road, the Collinite side had water FLYING off it, the NXT, even though it was only a couple days old, didn`t have much effect at all. Frankly, I can`t see this lasting very long at all.

Perhaps its me, perhaps its product, but I didn`t really like the process or results. Guess I`ll send it back. I`m sure there are people out there who love the product and get better results than I did. If so, my hat`s off to you.

I still want to try #21. Please tell me it a better product.

psl car wash
10-20-2005, 05:54 PM
However, the part of the hood, roof, and side that I left with the Collinite Fleetwax was bone dry when I wheeled into the garage. Driving down the road, the Collinite side had water FLYING off it, the NXT, even though it was only a couple days old, didn`t have much effect at all. Frankly, I can`t see this lasting very long at all.

ive never used NXT but i LOVE the beading action of collinite 476s

05Sleeper
10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I just tried the NXT paste on a silver Honda Accord and I am realy not that impressed with it. I did not like it at all. I have used the liquid version and I have had muc better results wit it. Easier to use, and I actually seemed to get a better glow from the liquid version on light colors. Just my .02!

travisdecpn
10-20-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a tin of this sitting on my shelf just waiting to be tried. I heard it`s not the easiest to work with, but hopefully I`ll be able to achieve some decent results with it.

ZaneO
10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
For most, you either like or you don`t.

I didn`t care for it, but kept it just in case...there may be a place for it at some point.

FrizzleFry
10-20-2005, 06:39 PM
i have the liquid version and i actually did like it. haven`t used it in a while but it`s still in there in case i want to. certainly very easy to use and pretty slick. most people can`t tell the difference anyways ;)

wannafbody
10-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I personally think Mother Reflections and Top Coat are easier to use and have a more natural, neutral look.

pontman43
10-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I liked the look initially on a black car, but it didn`t last long at all! Haven`t used it since.

Scottwax
10-20-2005, 09:07 PM
I like it on black, but like most sealant/polymers, I don`t like it as much as carnaubas. I really like it on metallic blues, the darker the better. Some waxes/sealants are just like that, they excel on a particular color more than anything else. Similarly, I find EX w/carnauba to be stunning on non metallic reds.

For me, it works best when applied via PC, seems I can lay it down thinner and it sets up more quickly for easy removal. If it takes any real effort to remove, you applied it too thick or it isn`t completely dry.

I`ve had decent durability, on par with a good carnauba. Slickness does fade after a few washings but the look seems to hold up pretty nicely.

BTW, AIO seems to be the best base for NXT in my experience.

aaron33
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I still want to try #21. Please tell me it a better product.

I have not tried NXT paste, but I was an NXT liquid wax user. Let`s just say #21 was good enough for me to switch from NXT topped with P21s. The only drawback is that #21 only comes in a 64oz size. You might be able to purchase sample sized bottles from detailing supply sites though.

I used #21 by hand and by random orbital. I wouldn`t go back to doing it by hand. I got better results by machine. It`s been 3 weeks now since I applied it and last washed. My car has gone through 3 rain storms, lots of bug **** and the rain is still beading off the dirty surface. The drawback is that water doesn`t seem to sheet off that quick (when you drive, the water doesn`t flow away that quick).

94BlkStang
10-20-2005, 10:47 PM
i have the liquid version and i actually did like it. haven`t used it in a while but it`s still in there in case i want to. certainly very easy to use and pretty slick. most people can`t tell the difference anyways ;)

I have the liquid version also. My initial impression was it was okay, but nothing exciting and went back to my Poor Boys EX-P, UPP and S100. I did my dads truck a couple weeks ago and thought I`d pull out the NXT and was actually quit pleased with it this time around. I still like the others better, but not really as much difference as I had thought.

Mad iX
10-20-2005, 11:51 PM
NXT isn`t cheap. I guess with all the marketing and money back guarantees it costs more than the Collinite waxes to put on the market.

NXT has its uses but I`m a big fan of #845 nowadays.

#21 is a better product than NXT imo, whether you prefer the look or not, durability is no doubt a big improvement. Megs say NXT is still there and protecting the paint even when it`s not beading blablabla, I don`t care. I like seeing beads. #21 and Collinite give me that long after NXT stops.

That said, one of my fave combos is 2 x NXT topped with #16. NXT look with extra wetness and bead for you long time. I just don`t like NXT by itself and could care less for the spray wax. NXT also works better when the paint is prepped with #80 or AIO.

EBPcivicsi
10-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Hate the paste, love the liquid. :think:

SamIam
10-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I guess my point is:

1) Even if protecting after the rain quits beading, I like my car shedding water. Whether it sheets or beads, I want the water off. I didn`t see that with NXT.

2) Without considering price, there is nothing special about it. When considering price, I believe it has a terrible price/performance quotient. High price, mediocre looks and performance. Put it this way, would you use NXT over UPP, 845, Glanz or S100? I wouldn`t, and each of those products cost less.

3) I like Meguirs products overall, but I just don`t get this product, unless driven by VOC. I still think #26 is a better looking product! However, my car is black, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Oh well, I guess its just not my "cup of tea". Back to the garage.

Big Leegr
10-21-2005, 07:33 AM
I`ve found the paste version "stickier` than the liquid, in terms of application.