PDA

View Full Version : Like, Totally, OH WOW!!!

crobinso
01-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Zainoshine`s thread, "Detailing for Dealers-Contract or Dealer Employed?" (http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=9718), got me to thinking [oh shut up] about the first car I ever financed. The very first time I saw it, I knew this was going to be my car! It wasn`t even on a dealer`s lot. IT WAS ON A DETAILER`S LOT.

Before y`all start drooling, it was 1977, and the car was merely a 1976 Chevy Caprice Estate Wagon. I had been riding around all day with my neighbor (who was driving a `73 Estate), looking for a car similar to his. We`d been everywhere, and all I found were high-mileage pieces of junk.

But then, I saw him! My GOLDEN WHEELS was sitting on this detailer`s lot, just detailed, hood up, saying "Come and get me, Charles!" I shouted to my neighbor, "Stop! That`s my car!" He said, "Where?" I said, "There! Right there on that lot!!!"

The car had only 13,000 miles on it, and the detailer said the dealer wanted $4500 for it. Folks, a one year-old Chevy wagon was selling for $5500 to $6000 back then. (When new, the car cost $9000). The dealer said the detailer was too low, but he let me have it for that price anyway.

Anyway, back to the condition of the paint! It was awesome! The car was a cream color (with that tacky plastic fake wood decal on the sides). The decals weren`t in the best shape, but they were all in place. The paint! The paint was buttery smooth looking! (How I wish I`d taken pictures!) Under the hood, the engine was sparkling clean! The interior was showroom new. I was pleased, to say the least.

The only other car that has affected me (infected me?) at first sight was the day I bought my current car, the 2004 Grand Marquis. I`d bought it over the Internet, sight unseen. When it was delivered, I gasped so loud that everyone in the dealership stopped talking. "It`s so pretty!" I gushed like a school girl. LOL And it was. And is...

Charles

bigron62
01-27-2005, 04:44 PM
dude you are freaking me out

denverdetail
01-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Wow! that was something...

Have you ever seen the commercial for H&G TV where the guy goes around telling strangers that he put flagstone pavers in his backyard?

It was like that...

Congrats on your new marquis...I`m glad you`re so enamored with the paint...I`,m sure you`ll keep it looking nice.

crobinso
01-28-2005, 08:44 AM
dude you are freaking me out
How? Why? I was just trying to share an anecdote...

Charles

crobinso
01-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Wow! that was something...

Have you ever seen the commercial for H&G TV where the guy goes around telling strangers that he put flagstone pavers in his backyard?

It was like that...

Congrats on your new marquis...I`m glad you`re so enamored with the paint...I`,m sure you`ll keep it looking nice.

Well yeah, it was like that. That`s why I posted the story in the "Off The Beaten Path" Forum. Perhaps I should have posted the story in Fuzz`s REALLY OFF-TOPIC forum?

As for the Grand Marq and my being enamored, understand that until I saw the salesman drive the car around to the front of the building, I`d never seen a Grand Marq in that color before. Since I`d bought the car off the Internet, all I had to go on was a color pallette and not even a pic of a Grand Marq in that color.

This was a new color being introduced by Ford, and although old news to the dealership, the fact that it was on MY car was worthy of a breathless gasp. Oh why am I going on? - you had to be there; you weren`t; no amount of explaining will help... :boohoo

Charles

dalmore
01-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Charles - reading your excitement on your seeing your car makes me feel 16 all over again!!

norahcrv
01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I understand, completely, Charles!!

When I had the garage floor coated last year (oops, it was two years ago now!!), I picked a colour from a 3" x 3" sample & had them add the flakes without being able to see a sample as they had never done that combo before. I was absolutely delighted with the end result & I still smile when I see it!! :jump :dancin

So go ahead & be tickled with your marq!!! :bigups

crobinso
01-28-2005, 11:23 PM
I understand, completely, Charles!!
So go ahead & be tickled with your marq!!! :bigups
Well, I figured a woman would understand! Thanks Norah!

Charles