PDA

View Full Version : Washing question on Black Metalic paint

imported_pdsterns
10-20-2005, 07:51 AM
The Metallic Black Sand Pearl Scion is now 3 months old and the paint is still perfect, no swirls or marks. I`ve washed it very carefully many times but it has never been dirty. I originally clayed it and put on a coat of NXT paste wax and it looks very good. I blow dry it carefully and then go over it using a very plush MF and EO WAUD (the new formula) and it comes out nice but sometimes it shows streaks or spots and I end up going over those areas with a QD. Is this pretty much normal or do you guys have a different approach to Black?

imported_Luster
10-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Black is the most UNFORGIVING color of all colors.

It`s very normal for me to routinely QD the whole car after washing. Just because there are always some areas that will have some streaks and water spots.

I also use EO WAUD. Because of the fairly high carnuba content in the new formula, it does streak sometimes. Usually, after it is dry, you can just take a dry MF and buff the streaks off.

Black car = high maintenance. (but worth it!)

stilez
10-20-2005, 09:10 AM
That seems like a pretty good wash regimen.

Personally I have had success with FK1 #425 QD compared to WAUD. I use it on windows, so that can tell you how much it streaks :D. Plus, it has anti-static properties. This may help you.

Glossmaster
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
No matter how careful I am, I still end up with "some" marring on my Black Sand Pearl Tacoma. Black is one of those "fussy" colors to keep in flawless condition. Especially on a daily driver. It is hard work keeping it up to "Autopian" standards, but I enjoy the challenge!!

imported_Picus
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
I do the same - as in qd after washing. I just find it gets rid of those pesky spots/streaks that you wouldn`t see on other colors. So ya, I think what you`re doing is normal and sounds really good.

Glossmaster
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree with Picus. I always qd after washing to remove those pesky water spots that stickout like a sore thumb on black paint.

Richt
10-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah wash and QD here on Met black. If its dirty it gets washed no risk of QD on paint her here otherwise.

imported_pdsterns
10-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys, I agree with all that has been said here. It is worth it, it looks great, it just takes a little more work. I just don`t think you can make it look good with the finishing touches of a QD. The Scion Tc is easy to wash, not much dressing to do, I just go around an extra time with the QD. I`ll try a little buffing with plush MF after dry. I use diluted old WAUD ( 2 h2o, 1 WAUD) on windows and am very happy with it.

imported_Neothin
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Try waxing your windows. I recently used #26 on my tC`s windows/glass sunroof and it beads water better than rainx could ever hope to. I applied via a black LC pad on a pc on speed 3.5. it`s really cool having water flying off the windshield when your only going 20 mph :D I QD after washing my NBM tC also. I use crystal mist to renew the souveran application that I have on the car. It brings back the wetness to the "just detailed" state.

on a side note, i got around to finally washing out my black pad that I have had soaking in dish soap solution for the past 2 days. I can`t get all of the #26 out of it. Anyone have any suggestions or is it one of those keep massaging it with your hands kinda deals?

Ed Fisher
11-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Try waxing your windows. I recently used #26 on my tC`s windows/glass sunroof and it beads water better than rainx could ever hope to. I applied via a black LC pad on a pc on speed 3.5. it`s really cool having water flying off the windshield when your only going 20 mph :D I QD after washing my NBM tC also. I use crystal mist to renew the souveran application that I have on the car. It brings back the wetness to the "just detailed" state.

on a side note, i got around to finally washing out my black pad that I have had soaking in dish soap solution for the past 2 days. I can`t get all of the #26 out of it. Anyone have any suggestions or is it one of those keep massaging it with your hands kinda deals?

Windshield too ?? :think:

imported_Neothin
11-13-2005, 10:29 PM
yep, and headlights, and taillights.

Ed Fisher
11-14-2005, 05:45 AM
OK I do wax my lights (even side wing markers and turn indicators) but the windshield...?

:hm Wouldn` t it streak all over when I use the wipers in rainy conditions ?

imported_Neothin
11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
well... i cant really say that i use my wipers much anymore. as soon as i get up to speed, the water just runs towards the back. i have used them sitting at a light though, but i havent noticed any streaking yet.

3Dog
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM

What normally works for me.....run water on it...squeeze..spray on APC... work in with thumbs...run through water again..squeeze....put on rotary..set on top of trash can or bucket. turn on and sling out water.

imported_Neothin
11-15-2005, 07:30 AM
I`ve had issues getting #26 out of my pads also. I eventually resorted to running it thru the washing machine to get it out.