PDA

View Full Version : Removing Hard water spots

LouisanaJeeper
10-19-2005, 06:24 PM
i need to remove some water spots ASAP on half the hood. they have been there a week. car wash did not put a dent in them, neither did 3m SMR.

normally i would use my DACP + PC but i dont have any supplies with me. need an OTK product that will fix it before they get into the CC too bad.

Mike-in-Orange
10-19-2005, 08:19 PM
White vinegar and water wash.

I had a car repainted about a month and a half ago and was told not to wax it or use the car cover for 4 weeks. Well, this thing sits on the street outside my house and three nights a week the sprinklers come on, and when the cover is on the car I don`t have any problems. Well, in the first month, no cover, so three nights a week I had to move the car onto our very short driveway while the sprinklers did their thing. Exept I forgot one night, and the next morning the spots where horrible due to our insanely hard water. QD did nothing, a quick wash of half the car with Meg`s Gold Class did nothing. So I poured a half cup of white vinegar into a half full bucket of clean water - spots gone.

Whew!

Do it.

Now.

Go on, what are you waiting for, you can thank me later!

LouisanaJeeper
10-21-2005, 06:17 PM
i did the vinegar wash

reduced the spots 50%. might need a second dose or clay bar

JeffM
10-21-2005, 06:20 PM
AIO gets em off.

Or any paint cleaner.

I turned my sprinklers off. I would rather have less green grass then waterspots.

White95Max
10-21-2005, 07:42 PM
I would turn those sprinklers off in a second too!

I have had good results with AIO and a polishing pad for removing water spots. I was also able to remove hard water spots from glass that had been there for SEVERAL YEARS with AIO and an LC orange spot pad on a Wolfgang Polishin Pal.

Beach15
10-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Yep, I was dumb once and just hosed off our black Avalanche during pollen season and, for whatever reason, forgot to dry it off at all....had small water spots everywhere.

Went at it with AIO, and away they went!

LouisanaJeeper
12-20-2005, 11:36 PM
finally got back to my supplies.

it took some good 3m clay to remove 90% of the spots. The area on the hood took clay, 3M fine cut with yelow pad 2x, finished with 3m machine glaze and white pad. (i tried AIO and white pad, and DACp and white pad first, barely put a dent in them)

im in the process of a full detail on this thing, check the click and brag forum in a day or two :D

coolride08
12-21-2005, 02:08 AM
my friend also use water and vinegar solution remove some water spots on hood (http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Hood).