PDA

View Full Version : In Perspective

Pages : [1] 2

SpoiledMan
10-19-2005, 02:27 PM
So I was just thumbing through the paper and saw an ad for a new 2005 Gallardo. It shows a purchase for $1403.53 per month with $40,000 down. So I`m thinking that`s not bad for a car like that and continue to read and see that I`d have it all paid for in just 144 payments!!

Just lets me know that the next time I see a guy in a Gallardo that he`s done something really right in life!

Scottwax
10-19-2005, 03:10 PM
My customer with the Rolls put down $100,000 and has a 5 year note for $228,000 on it! Good business man but not everyone would agree owning topless clubs is doing something right. ;)

SpoiledMan
10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
He knows how to run a business the right way.:D

Accumulator
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Just lets me know that the next time I see a guy in a Gallardo that he`s done something really right in life!

I dunno....I`m more impressed when somebody pays cash for something like that. To me that means they can *really* afford it. I`m weirdly debt-phobic anyhow, but I truly :rolleyes when somebody buys something as extravagant and unnecessary as a Lambo on credit. I know all about the "my money`s making more than the interest on the payments" argument so maybe I`m just goofy on this :o

stilez
10-19-2005, 05:09 PM
My Mercedes client pays cash for all of his. He currently has (4) $100k+ Mercedes and then 3 cars for his daughters and oh yeah, a 1957 T-Bird in pristine condition. I always found that mind blowing.

But yes, the amount of money out there mind boggles me sometimes.

Intercooled
10-19-2005, 05:32 PM
But yes, the amount of money out there mind boggles me sometimes.

I sometimes wonder how hard ahve these people really worked? I`m sure some have worked extremely hard and deserve every penny. I believe in that! I am self employed and own an H2. Although not extremely expensive but does have an exotic touch to it. I have worked very hard for it!! But some of these big tycoons? Is it family money? Fake money? I look at alot of celebrities and notice that most have either family or have known someone in thier business. Most havn`t come from the trenches!!

I guess that I work so damn hard sometimes that I get jealouse of those that have more. :angry

the other pc
10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
"Working hard" is not directly related to anything but getting tired. There are too many other factors that must be included.

I`m not saying that successful people don`t work hard, only that poor people work hard too and that working twice as hard won`t necessarily get you twice as far. It`s not a linear relationship.

It is not physically possible for Bill Gates to work a million times harder than Joe Blow. He`s a billionaire but you aren`t going to become a millionaire by working a thousand times less hard than Bill.

PC.

imported_rfinkle2
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
have you guys heard of Jerry Seinfeld`s Porsche collection... TALK ABOUT EXCESS.

I have no problems with people buying expensive things, but I think it is possible to be wasteful when someone has something like 80+ cars.

He must employ 5-6 detailers full time ...lol

stilez
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
rfinkle2: I believe Arnold Schwarz..... has a full time detailer for his fleet. If I remember correctly, he uses makeup brushes for the vents and stuff but ended up having crappy towels.

JeffM
10-20-2005, 12:49 PM
lol, "hey girly man, you missed a spot"

JeffM
10-20-2005, 01:01 PM
And to throw this out, having been self-employed twice now, i ifnd it is more benificial to have other people making you the money while you are out looking for other ways for those people to make you more.

I tried doing it the "im going to work myself to death, to get rich" way, but all i got out of it was stress, and not much money.

Up north i was in a business where people wanted my skill and talent to do a job for them, not some goons who didnt care. I hired who i could to help, but i had to keep an eye on QC. Then after the work was done i had to make appointments, look at jobs, do paper work, goto get supplies ect...

Probably pretty similar to how quality pro detailers operate. It is great to be your own boss, ill never go back, but doing it this way, your income is limited and there isnt much chance of branching out or growing.

So, when i see quicky detail operations show up with some "goons" wiping off cars with bath towels, i understand why they exist. Its not entirely because of what people are willing to pay, its one way to operate a business.

I started my fist business when i was 25, and by the time i hit 28 i started to notice who had the biger bucks, and what they did every day. The ones with, what i would call serious money, didnt do any of the construction work, their job was running the business.

Everyone i knew who was out in the mud every day banging their own nails, laying their own tile ect.. had "normal" money.

What does everyone else think of my observation?

Intercooled
10-20-2005, 01:27 PM
And to throw this out, having been self-employed twice now, i ifnd it is more benificial to have other people making you the money while you are out looking for other ways for those people to make you more.

I tried doing it the "im going to work myself to death, to get rich" way, but all i got out of it was stress, and not much money.

Up north i was in a business where people wanted my skill and talent to do a job for them, not some goons who didnt care. I hired who i could to help, but i had to keep an eye on QC. Then after the work was done i had to make appointments, look at jobs, do paper work, goto get supplies ect...

Probably pretty similar to how quality pro detailers operate. It is great to be your own boss, ill never go back, but doing it this way, your income is limited and there isnt much chance of branching out or growing.

So, when i see quicky detail operations show up with some "goons" wiping off cars with bath towels, i understand why they exist. Its not entirely because of what people are willing to pay, its one way to operate a business.

I started my fist business when i was 25, and by the time i hit 28 i started to notice who had the biger bucks, and what they did every day. The ones with, what i would call serious money, didnt do any of the construction work, their job was running the business.

Everyone i knew who was out in the mud every day banging their own nails, laying their own tile ect.. had "normal" money.

What does everyone else think of my observation?

Excellent observation.!!! I have hired a few over the past year. Hoping to be that guy who has people who make me the money while I run the show. All I did was go around baby sitting my workers. I fixed all thier screw ups and Qc wen way down. I had hoped for a more care free life style but all I got was way more stress. My latest employee is leaving tommorow and I`m going back to just me and a helper. I`m going to slow down a bit and enjoy the work more. Bring back some great QC and sleep well at night. I guess I dont have a personality to have a bunch of employees and let them do thier thing. I care too much about the finished product and worry alot about what goes on. I`m kind of at a turning a point in my business. I used to try and do every job and not dissapoint any customers. I feel now that I`m only going to take what I feel I wantto do at the price I want to get. LIke my wife says " your not superman, you cant be everywhere at once". All my hard work has made me very tired and i`m only 33. I could kind pf a sense a possible heart attack coming in years to come. I`m looking forward to slowing down a bit and just keeping it small. I guess sometimes I`m dissapointed in myslef that I`m not going to make it "big time" or maybe I gave up on having a big compnay. I think i expect alot out myslef and always fear failure. But I learned at the beginning from an old timer who used to always tell me "work smarter not harder"!!

Accumulator
10-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I tried doing it the "im going to work myself to death, to get rich" way, but all i got out of it was stress, and not much money...
.. I learned at the beginning from an old timer who used to always tell me "work smarter not harder"!!

Yeah, my father always said "get paid for what you know, not for what you [physically] do". He did some hideously backbreaking labor as a kid during the depression and it motivated him to work his way through a lot of education and go white collar.

have you guys heard of Jerry Seinfeld`s Porsche collection... TALK ABOUT EXCESS...

I was initially thinking "yeah, that`s just acquiring for the sake of it" as in, some kind of measuring contest. But then I considered that many collectors I know have dozens/hundreds of [whatever they collect] and they appreciate every piece in their collections. As long as you have a way to properly take care of whatever you collect (yeah, with vehicles at some point you *would* need full time mechanics/detailers/etc.) then OK, it`s your money, hope you enjoy yourself.

JeffM
10-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I guess sometimes I`m dissapointed in myslef that I`m not going to make it "big time" or maybe I gave up on having a big compnay.

I have a new line, you may like it: Its smart to work your help hard.

I came to a realization a few years ago while i was working outside at -10.

You know who the best mason in the world is? ( Im a mason)

The one who makes the most money.

Everything else is cute, but its b.s.

I have shared my p.o.v. with some other people, in the trades, and they kinda agree but shake their head, i cant put out crappy work.

They didnt listen.

Crappy work wont get you rich, nor will being a perfectionist while you are loosing jobs. There is a middle road, and the lane is still quick, but not the Indy500.

I like to work backwards, from the end of the year to now, or Jan. 1st.

I say, for example, it isnt unreasonable for me to personally earn 60k as an employee, while my company also earns 50k.

Then i add everything up, add a % for missed stuff, and add the 110k ontop. Totally forget about 6-8 weeks of the year for rain days, problems with material, and holidays. That leaves about 10 months to make those numbers.

So lets say my total income has to be 500k to hit the 110k. 500k/10 months is 50k a month. 12,500 a week.

Now i gotta do what i gotta do. If thats a few jobs that get rushed, then they get rushed, its not a fashion show for me anymore.

This is just blabble, but i am trying to say, ya the business has to come first, but you have to come in a pretty darn close 2nd. If you can earn a comfortable++ living, have abilities to expand, have people do your work-doing quick details, then thats the nature of the business, and i at least wont hold it against ya :D

Scottwax
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
"Working hard" is not directly related to anything but getting tired. There are too many other factors that must be included.

I`m not saying that successful people don`t work hard, only that poor people work hard too and that working twice as hard won`t necessarily get you twice as far. It`s not a linear relationship.

It is not physically possible for Bill Gates to work a million times harder than Joe Blow. He`s a billionaire but you aren`t going to become a millionaire by working a thousand times less hard than Bill.

PC.

Well, in a free market society, the marketplace determines what a job or business is worth. Everyone has to eat, right? And no one *needs* their car detailed but I make more working less hours detailing than I did in restaurant management.