PDA

View Full Version : Removing number etching on glass

imported_pdsterns
10-18-2005, 12:26 PM
My dealer etches all the windows on all his cars in an effort to sell you the anti theft/recovery package. Well I did not go for it but got the free etching. They were really sloopy in doing it and the numbers are large ( 1/4 inch at least) and crooked. Is there anyway to remove the etching, the front window are not tinted so maybe there is a way. The rears are tinted and the tint seems to be on the outside with the numbers so I think I am SOL there.

imported_kgb
10-18-2005, 12:33 PM
If I am not mistaken that etching is done with acid and is "etched" into the glass. The reason for it is so a car theif can not get it off.

Richt
10-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah correct, sorry I think bar changing the glass thats it.

imported_pdsterns
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I realize that is indeed etched into the glass but someone must have tried to polish it out. Is it so deep that when you get it out the glass will look warped and wavy? I know a guy who used to regrind glass paperweights that were damaged and repolish and they ended up perfect but he re countoured the glass which can`t be done on a glass window.

psl car wash
10-19-2005, 03:31 PM
yes you can have this (professionally) removed by OVER etching it and than polishing it out if it bothers you that bad.....will probably be expensive though and you willl probably also see the "ditch" of where they polished it out at.

GOOD LUCK!

docker
10-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I think the freaking dealer owes you a freaking window, eh?