PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Dark Grey Metallic and Black

pmagill
10-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey guys, was looking for a suggestion on the best wax to use on my girlfriends new scion tC which is flint mica (dark grey metallic)... When she got it I put on NXT (only non carnuba i had at the time) which looked great for about two days (qd`d with nxt qd everyday).. then it just lost it`s wetness etc. Her paint has not been prepped at all. does it need to be prepped? I mean, she ordered it, the next day it had the NXT on it (no need for clay it`s smooth).. she`s probably had it 2 weeks now.. was thinking some ex-p .. or natty`s blue (would this mute the extreme flake that she loves?).. so what do you guys use to really make your metallics stand out?

on a side note, i`m going to try RMG topped with Nattys Blue on my black 05 sierra because I can`t seem to find anything that doesn`t wash out in the sun.

thanks in advance for any help

pete

tailwind
10-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Black often washes out in heavy sun, even with good prep and a nice carnauba. I wouldn`t worry too much about that as long as you`re doing the job right.

On your girlfriend`s car, is durability an issue? How often will it be detailed? Does it sit outside in the rain? If you need durability, I`d go with Klasse AIO and SG or Zaino Z2. If you`re in it more for the looks, Nattys Blue would be a great choice.

Prep is really up to you. If it needs a polish, then go for it. If there`s no swirls or holograms and claying isn`t necessary, then just give it a last step product and go.

Richt
10-18-2005, 12:19 AM
If you dont want to mute the flakes EX-p will be a good choice. I have had no muting on my metallic black car with that or Wolfgang. UPP worked well to, but did look a little more washed out in the sun, so I used WG over that in the end.

Think I prefer RMG/WG/ Nattys Blue and or Souveran on cars the colour your working on.

GTScott
10-18-2005, 04:32 AM
I have a metallic gray vehicle and recently swapped from EX to EX-P and am amzed at how the flakes popped. I would STRONGLY suggest giving this a try. I top it with Natty`s blue for some durability although I ma hearing more talk about the EX-P being more durable than first thought.

-GT

zippymbr
10-18-2005, 04:37 AM
EX-P makes my silver metalic pop like crazy and is very wet. UPP would also be a great choice for the silver.

imported_Neothin
10-18-2005, 06:18 AM
I second the UPP recommendation. I used a VM/RMG/UPP/Souveran combo on my nautical blue metallic tC and before I added the souveran the entire paintjob was nothing but flake. Afterwards though, it was muted significantly (to the point where you have to be right on top of the paint to see the flake). But the paint did take on a very wet characteristic which I also liked. And I always thought that you were supposed to clay a new car because of rail dust that could be on it or something like that?

docker
10-18-2005, 08:09 AM
My daily driver is magnesium metallic (which may be similiar to your g-friends car) and I have traditionally used UPP (x3 or 4), which really brightens the finish with the flake popping, plus was very slick and durable. I only used 4* UGE as a QD with the UPP and was happy with it.

However, over the past week I switched to WG (x3) and I put Nattys-Blue (x2) on top of it. This darken the finish while retaining a bunch of the flake popping, but not nearly as much as the UPP. Looks nice. Don`t yet know about durability, but I plan on QD+`ing it frequently to keep the wax surface.

I use AIO under both.

I like the results of both combinations and will switch between them depending on my mood. UPP - Brighter, more flakes-a-popping. WG - Darker with moderate flaking.