PDA

View Full Version : EX-P or Z-2 Pro

wander1053
10-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Hello everyone,

The time has come to detail my car for the winter. I have a black 99` Buick Regal GSE. It is garage kept and usually does not have to sit outside for any extended period of time (greater than 48hrs.). I plan to use Poorboys SSR 2.5 and SSR1 to remove the swirls. I can not decide though, what I want to use for my LSP. I have some EX-P and some Z-2 Pro. Which one should I use? If I should use the Z-2 pro would it be advisable to use Zaino Fusion instead of SSR1 prior to application, or would I be alright to apply Z2 over SSR 1 (I am trying to avoid the dawn wash). Currently, the car has six coats of Z2. I have alot of swirls (due to my car cover) that i would like to get rid of however. What should I do?

Thanks for the help,

Gabe

Setec Astronomy
10-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I don`t think there is any contest, you want the Zaino for the winter. Someone else will have to advise whether you can go over the SSR1 with it, but I would think a Z7 wash after the SSR would do the trick.

Scottwax
10-16-2005, 08:54 PM
I wouldn`t sneeze at the durability of the new version of EX-P. It has been holding up very well on a customer`s Silverado 2500 that sits outside, 24/7 (1969 Dodge Dart body on restoration is taking up garage space) and is usually covered in live oak sap when I wash it about every other week. Still beading and noticable slickness after a mid July application (one layer) when I washed it yesterday. No QD either. Normally washed with QEW but I`ve given it a couple convential washes too, due to his tendency to use his truck...well, like a truck.

Z2 is probably more durable but I don`t know by how much. EX-P`s biggest advantage is you can grab a bottle and get right to work and it isn`t particularly fussy about what you use it over. Appearance, IMO is a toss-up, both are clear, reflective and wet. :)

GTScott
10-17-2005, 04:37 AM
I have to agree with Scottwax on this one. I have heard bad things about the durability on the EX-P but am seeing quite the opposite. I had a coworker put it on his little Elise which lives outside. He applied it about 3 months ago and it is still holding up well. He washes the car about every week as well using the PB Suds. While I do believe that it is *about* time for another application on his car, it has held up VERY nicely.

-GT

Glossmaster
10-17-2005, 05:14 AM
So many great products to choose from, nowadays. If you`re happy with the Z2 Pro, I`d suggest picking up some Z5. Z5 has some filling properties that will hide some minor marring. I`ve found that Z5/Z2 Pro is a teriffic combo on my black Tacoma.

cwcad
10-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Have used both with good results. Although they were in different conditions. The Z-2 Pro held up well when the car was garaged every nite. That is the case with my wife`s 300C. My 03 Silverado was outside everyday 24/7. Although it looked fairly well, it was embedded with pollen and dust from repeated morning`s of dew then the hot Texas sun.

Have been using EX-P on friends cars in Alaska and all have been holding up well. Most of these people use Autopian methods to maintain their vehicles.

Since you take the extra time to use a car cover it would be my opinion to use the Z-2 Pro and all the other Zaino products that you have in your arsenal to get the best possible protection available.

If you are going to use Poorboy`s products you will get good protection also. The only thing that I see different is that you will have to apply EX-P sooner than you would the Zaino.

I concur with Scottwax, that Ex-P is a lot less finicky than Z2-Pro.

Will be interested in your observations of the results, that you obtain, no matter which product that you use.

imported_Picus
10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
I`ve used both a lot too, although I can`t comment so much on the durabilty of Z2, since I was always stripping it to try new things. I put some ex on my sisters and dads car in June and both are holding up really well. Neither is garaged, the weather here was hot until very recently and now we`re getting a ton of rain. I`m interested to see how the ex is doing with all the rain we`ve been having. I should find out this weekend.