PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe Removal

BlueFan
10-15-2005, 08:42 PM
I have white pinstripe on my 1995 Chevrolet Blazer. The truck is black.

The pinstripe is not painted, but stuck on. I have only found posts on here how to remove painted on stripes.

What would be the best method to remove these stripes and what would be a good process to make sure underneath comes clean AND matches the paint?

Thanks everyone!

Accumulator
10-16-2005, 09:27 AM
If the tape stripe has been on there for a long time it`s gonna show if you take it off. The paint under the stripe will be very different from the paint that`s been weathered for all those years. I`d give this some serious thought.

There are different ways to remove adhesive stripes. There`s a rubber wheel that sorta grinds them off (no way would I use that on *my* paint though).

I`d remove the stripe with a heat gun/hair dryer and some 3M Adhesive Remover.

But I`d probably leave it on in this case, it`ll show too much if you remove it.

Oh, and Welcome To Autopia!

BlueFan
10-16-2005, 11:06 PM
If the tape stripe has been on there for a long time it`s gonna show if you take it off. The paint under the stripe will be very different from the paint that`s been weathered for all those years. I`d give this some serious thought.

There are different ways to remove adhesive stripes. There`s a rubber wheel that sorta grinds them off (no way would I use that on *my* paint though).

I`d remove the stripe with a heat gun/hair dryer and some 3M Adhesive Remover.

But I`d probably leave it on in this case, it`ll show too much if you remove it.

Oh, and Welcome To Autopia!

Thanks for the advice!

I have a bit of body work that needs to take place due to an accident. I might remove the stripe and paint the entire truck in the process.

ScoobyDrew06
10-17-2005, 06:50 AM
I used the 3M stripe off wheel. I thought it would burn the paint, and it was kind of scary to use at first. But there were no noticeable side effects that I could see. My paint was about 9 years old when I did this and I couldn`t notice any color difference under the pin stripe. After I used the wheel I went over everything with goo gone to remove the sticky residue left from the striping. But i`m a autopia newb so maybe you shouldn`t take my advice. worked great for me though. good luck.

Accumulator
10-17-2005, 08:17 AM
I used the 3M stripe off wheel... no noticeable side effects that I could see. My paint was about 9 years old when I did this and I couldn`t notice any color difference under the pin stripe. ... But i`m a autopia newb so maybe you shouldn`t take my advice. worked great for me though. good luck.

I can learn from a newbie anytime :D

I am, however, just too :nervous2: to try that wheel on my cars. Maybe I oughta reconsider....I need to take some pinstripes off my Caprice but the paint is too thin to correct if the wheel mars it...decisions decisions. If the stripe doesn`t just come off with some 3M Adhesive Remover (that would be so quick and easy!) then I might give the wheel a try and inspect with the 30X magnifier. I don`t want to be badmouthing it if it works just fine.

On the color difference, you just never know until you see. Black sounded like potential trouble to me, but nothing like red, which will *really* show differences like that.