PDA

View Full Version : First post - need advice

Tiggercat
10-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi all! I have lurked for a little while, and think I have the right idea, but I could use advice. I have a 2003 red Accord coupe that is in good shape, but that could use a lttle pampering, and a new 2005 silver metallic CR-V. I think I need to clay the Accord, and then I would like to use a product that I can apply to both vehicles, top to bottom, without worrying about getting white marks on all the black plastic trim on the CR-V. From what I have read, Klasse All In One followed by Klasse Sealant seems like a good choice. Am I on the right track?

a.k.a. Patrick
10-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Well, that would be a good choice. The best? For some, not for me though. I feel SG is too difficult to use, properly, to get its best results. And do those results meet my expectations? no.....

Theres quite an array of products that provide outstanding results with twice the ease.

Your on the right track though, youve made the decision to clean and protect you car, now all you have to do is figue out which products you want to use!

Theres a handful of products that dont stain trim, my avoidance of getting product on trim, is key to not caring what stains it! Good luck in your quest for the best..........its neverending.

zippymbr
10-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Clay both cars and do a light polish if you need to. Prep is the key to a long lasting great looking finnish. I doubt that the Hondas are in as great a shape as you think. I have a silver Ody that is prone to scratching. Needless to say I polish often. AIO is a good choice after the clay and polish but SG can be hard for a beginner to get used to. I love the look of EX-P or UPP over AIO on my Honda Ody. Both of those are almost foolproof and will not stain the trim. Not to mention that they are very easy to use, much easier to use that SG.

Setec Astronomy
10-14-2005, 07:34 AM
I love the look of EX-P...almost foolproof and will not stain the trim.

:think: I have had horrible trim staining with EX-P, and the worst part, is it took a while to show up (as in days/weeks later). :furious:

Patrick--are you saying you never slip and hit the trim with your LSP?

Anyway, back on topic, of the products I`ve used, only SG and Zaino don`t stain trim (and I`m a little wary of the Z2-Pro, since it`s so thick/opaque), although I haven`t used UPP or #21 enough to get them on trim, and I haven`t used FMJ or Blackfire or Wolfgang.

Wasatch
10-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Look into Adam`s Polishes and the Chemical Guy`s products, I sure they have what you are looking for. Both have very easy to use products and just about anything you need to take care of your vehicles.

Tiggercat
10-14-2005, 07:41 AM
Okay, I`m still getting used to the abbreviations - what is UPP?

ahains
10-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Okay, I`m still getting used to the abbreviations - what is UPP?

Any new autopian needs to have his or her secret decoder ring handy:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring

Actually, the forum should have a "decode abbreviatins" option that does a search and replace on all of these known abbreviations :)

From the FAQ:

UP, UPP, 1ZUP Einszett Ultra Paint Polish

UPP Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection, also PUPP

I think he was talking about sealants, so it was probably the latter UPP.

-Adrian

imported_rfinkle2
10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
It is a Four Star Product called ultimate paint protection. It is known on the forum as one of the slickest / most slippery last step products available.

If you decide to clay, make sure the clay is a fine grade if you aren`t going to polish.

IMO, some good advice was given above. EX-P, UPP and Blackfire are all pretty easy on / off products. I have yet to use FMJ. KLasse SG has been a difficult product for me to use, but others like it for both looks and durability.

You can always tape your trim off with painter`s tape if you are concerned about staining, although UPP never stained the trim on my silver tundra and had the closest look to carnuba wax (i.e. wet) of the sealants I`ve tried on silver.

If it were me, I would get a fine grade clay , some UPP and some painters tape and get crazy.