PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on Black after claying

mpmiller37
10-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Have a 2 yr old Black car that I clayed. I couldn`t see them in the garage, but the car

has fine scratches all over in the direction I was claying and the finish has been slightly dulled, even after I finished it with Z5.

I have looked at polishes by Menzeran, Zaino Z-PC, scratch-X etc. but am not sure what to use. I do everything by hand and am not sure I can get great polish results by hand. Black is very unforgiving and I`m not a professional. Can anyone advise what product and method would work best to make it look like black glass ?

imported_Picus
10-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, you might not want to hear it, but your best bet is to buy a Porter Cable. I`ve all but given up on doing things by hand, especially on black. You just spend more time marring the car than repairing the paint.

Just my $0.02 of course.

imported_Luster
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I also do everything by hand. It`s just personal preference for me, mostly because I`m not looking for labor-saving tools... detailing is my excersize program!

Anyway. I`ve had excellent luck with 3M Swirl Mark Remover topped with Zaino.

Now, keep in mind that there will be people here who say, "No, you`re only putting a band-aid on the problem"...

But my experience has been that the light scratches and swirls don`t come back.

I usually apply this product two or 3 times a year followed by Z2 with Z6 touch-ups.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1864_38058002

Here`s your "Black Glass"...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/hianglerear.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/6491hoodclouds.jpg

mpmiller37
10-13-2005, 12:04 PM
The "black glass" does look great.

Why would some say "its a band-aid" ? I read that this product has no fillers or silicon or wax, so its not hiding the scratches, right ?

imported_Luster
10-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Why would some say "its a band-aid" ? I read that this product has no fillers or silicon or wax, so its not hiding the scratches, right ?

I haven`t been on this forum for quite a while, but it seems like some people were saying that the 3M does have fillers. I haven`t researched it...

Personally... I don`t care if it has fillers or not... it works great for me!!!

mbjkiller
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
i used 3M SMR on my car... within months, the same swirls that i hid with the SMR came back! so its a filler product

jmsc
10-13-2005, 02:07 PM
PC + Menzerna OR Z-PC OR Optimum polishes.

I too gave up by hand 3 years ago when I asked my doctor about tendinitis pain in both my hands. He put me on anti-inflammatories and told me to find a new hobby. After 3 years my tendinitis is gone and I detail more cars than I did before. Get the PC.

sharingan625
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
so how do you guys use 3M SMR? do you put it on and wipe off after dry like wax? or do you have to work it in like polish?

i too thought this product was a remover not filler.

Black240SX
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
It has to be worked in. I tried using it once with a PC and had poor results. It seems you need a rotary polisher to get the abrasives to break down.

It does have fillers in it.

MikeWarner
10-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Why does the 3M Swirl Mark Remover state "For Dark Cars"? Surely if it removes swirls, it doesn`t matter what colour the car is? My guess is that it does fill.

Tanat198
10-13-2005, 09:50 PM
It has fillers alright. I tried it before and loved it. It gives the car black look. But as everyone says, the scratches come back.

mpmiller37
10-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Ok, if the 3M SMR has fillers so the scratches come back, then I need some ideas about what polishes would work best to remove these light scratches, by hand ??

Thanks

imported_themightytimmah
10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Probably Poorboy`s SSR2 followed by SSR1. It`ll be a job but the Poorboy`s polishes are much more hand friendly than Menzerna, and other "rotary-preferred" polishes. Z-PC might work too.

mpmiller37
10-14-2005, 10:52 AM
On this board it seems that more people prefer Menzerna over PoorBoys polishes.

Has anyone applied Menzerna by hand and had good experience removing light scratches and/or swirls ?

JeffM
10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
You can get there by hand, but i would look for products that fill if doing so.

That would also mean no Z2pro either.

A hundred bucks for the PC and 50 more for a pad kit, you will be the happiest guy on the block.

I pretty much only use ZPC for minor corrections and surface cleaning now.

If i had to pick something else it would be menzerna or SFX polishes.