PDA

View Full Version : New car jitters

sldysart
10-13-2005, 07:31 AM
After stumbling on the wealth of experience contained here at autopia it has reignited my enthusiasm for proper car care. I have had to endure some gentle ribbing from my wife and sons about the arrival of yet another UPS package of MF towels, pads and assorted chemicals not available at the local WalMart. That was until she saw how a PC and my remaining stock of Megs cleaner/polish brought back the shine to her ’01 Odyssey.

I have a brand new black Volvo purchased through their Overseas Delivery Program headed this way. The paint is flawless (at least during the first 1000 miles we drove in Sweden). We’ll pick it up soon and hopefully the dealer will follow instructions and not add any complimentary swirl marks.

I am planning on doing the Zaino routine for the balance between shine, durability and effort:

Dawn / Clay / Z7 / Z5+ZFX (x2) / Z-6 (between each layer) / Z2+FX (x2) / Z-8 (on top).

About prep before first layer of Z5.

I’ve read a number of posts and so I understand how important initial prep is -- still I am having a hard time bringing myself to put an abrasive on a foam pad and running my PC over factory fresh paint. In trying to eliminate any minor imperfections, I don’t want to lose the gloss and leave any haze (I have heard this can happen with Z-PC).

Lingering questions:

1) Do you recommend I just start with Z5 to see how it looks through the winter and then polish in the spring if not satisfied or simply overcome my fears and prep the base now? Would you suggest Z-PC (easy to add to the order) or would Menzerna FP II be safer and give better results?

2) Do you include ZFX in the final layer of Z2? It will have time to cure undisturbed, but I have also read that it adds to the durability of each coat.

3) Do you dress the plastic and rubber trim first, in the middle or as a last step of this regime?

4) I’ll be ordering the basic kit plus Z8. What Zaino product do you run out of and have to reorder first?

Thanks!

Scott

ikellen
10-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Are you absolutey sure you will need to use abrasives? If the paint is good from the factory, a good washing regularly and a layer of good carbauba should be fine. Instead of focusing on repairing the paint straight from the beginning, just focus on using good practices when washing and waxing i.e two bucket method, good wool/chenille wash mit, good soap, etc.

I think you`re being a bit paranoid. Yes the dealerships can damage the paint before you even get it, but dont automatically assume that paint will be bad when you get it.

imported_Gears
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM
I think what you have planned is perfect for your car. Like you said if your not satisfied you can always start over with a polish in the future.

I don`t use ZFX on my second and third layers of Z2.

I dress the trim as a last step. If you get it on the paint first the Zaino will not stick.

I always order some extra Z8. Love the stuff.

DETAILKING
02-21-2006, 05:43 PM
You might not need a dawn wash if you clay the car and use Z7 wash as lube. I kind of wash the car as I clay. I soap up a clean panel......clay it, and rinse.

Some tips:

Apply Z6 on your squeaky clean car before the first coat of zaino.

You don`t have to use ZFX with every coat but I would definately use it for teh frst few.

It is ok to space coats out over a few carwashes. You don`t have to apply them all in one day.

Good luck!

golftor
02-21-2006, 10:23 PM
That overseas delivery program is so cool!