PDA

View Full Version : Best wax for clear bra -- synthetic or carnauba?

Pages : [1] 2

astro13rm
10-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Hello all,

I just had a clear bra put on my car. After I let it cure longer (and when my order from Autopia Car Care) gets here, I want to do a nice detail on the whole vehicle. I waxed it a couple of weeks ago, but I want to do it again (which isn`t a bad idea considering we can have some pretty nasty winters here in Montana). I`m sure you understand. :-)

Anyway, on to the question -- is there a better wax (type, not necessarily brand, but I welcome all suggestions) for the job? I have both types (Klasse All-In-One and Turtle`s carnauba wax) available to me. I`m thinking it is just personal preference but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance!

docker
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Hey...I can`t answer your question as to what wax to use on your bra but I am interested in the answers you get.

Anyway, I am considering getting a clear bra also, for my Honda Civic. Can you take a series of pics before and after and either post here or PM me ?

Thanks!

:bounce

astro13rm
10-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Sure will -- not a problem.

Are you referring to before/after pics of the bra or the wax on it (once I do it)?

The car will be pretty dirty before I wash it so I`ll take some pictures of that too so you can see what the bra looks like when it`s filthy. Unfortunately, the car has to sit outside in the elements when I post out to the field, so for about 30 hours or so, the Accord has to brave the weather. :-(

imported_Neothin
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Did you get the 3M scotchguard protective film? How much coverage did you get? What kinda prices did you pay for the kit itself and then how much for the installation?

Just wanting to know because I`m looking at a 3M film kit for $170 that covers the bumper and mirrors completely, then the first 18" of the fenders and the hood. Then add in some mudguards and a protective film on the horizontal shelf on the back bumper... Ill be good!

Bluesbrekr
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
I`ve had my clear bra for about 2 years. I`ve detailed it the same way I do the rest of the car.

Clay bar (use LOTS of lube to avoid residue) Then Menzerna IP and FP, then AIO and SG, then S100 or Souveran.

ZaneO
10-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Look for a carnauba to really bring out the depth of the clear bra.

astro13rm
10-12-2005, 04:44 PM
I`ve had my clear bra for about 2 years. I`ve detailed it the same way I do the rest of the car.

Clay bar (use LOTS of lube to avoid residue) Then Menzerna IP and FP, then AIO and SG, then S100 or Souveran.

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it.

astro13rm
10-12-2005, 04:48 PM

I`m guessing my TurtleWax should do the job. My wife said I have to use that before I can buy the good stuff. :-)

astro13rm
10-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Did you get the 3M scotchguard protective film? How much coverage did you get? What kinda prices did you pay for the kit itself and then how much for the installation?

Just wanting to know because I`m looking at a 3M film kit for $170 that covers the bumper and mirrors completely, then the first 18" of the fenders and the hood. Then add in some mudguards and a protective film on the horizontal shelf on the back bumper... Ill be good!

I actually got Durashield (made by Avery). It says it has Scotchguard or something but that might be a different product -- not 100% sure.

I had the entire front bumper coverd, each side view mirror covered, and 24 inches back from the front of the hood (and the fender) covered. The front/side of the hood that is covered is wrapped. The pieces on the fender are not wrapped. There is a tiny crease on my side view mirrors caused from covering all of the paint (front and top) instead of just the front. They even touched up a small chip I had before they covered it.

I paid $599 total for the product and installation. That`s a pretty steap price, but as far as I could tell, they are the only game in town. The part that was the most expensive, actually, was the bumper since it has so many contours. They actually don`t use a kit at all. The do all the cutting/fitting themselves from the sheets.

I might end up going back and having them cover that horizontal shelf on my bumper -- seems like it might be a good idea. My priority, however, was getting the leading edge of my vehicle taken care of. In about 1 month of ownership, I already had a deep chip -- gotta love Montana right?

If there had been a closer authorized dealer for 3M, I might have gone for it (the closest is about 1:30 away). However, this shop did a great job and it looks like a great product (they were recommended by the dealerships).

yankees1
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Hello all,

I just had a clear bra put on my car. After I let it cure longer (and when my order from Autopia Car Care) gets here, I want to do a nice detail on the whole vehicle. I waxed it a couple of weeks ago, but I want to do it again (which isn`t a bad idea considering we can have some pretty nasty winters here in Montana). I`m sure you understand. :-)

Anyway, on to the question -- is there a better wax (type, not necessarily brand, but I welcome all suggestions) for the job? I have both types (Klasse All-In-One and Turtle`s carnauba wax) available to me. I`m thinking it is just personal preference but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance! Use whatever you use on the rest of your car. Make sure and use microfiber applicators and polish/wax in straight lines north to south(front to back). Wash good before applying wax just like the rest of your car. The best clear material is 3M Scotchgard which is the originator of this material. Several companies sell this product and the one I chose to put on my vette three yars ago was from Xpel.

docker
10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Sure will -- not a problem.

Are you referring to before/after pics of the bra or the wax on it (once I do it)?

The car will be pretty dirty before I wash it so I`ll take some pictures of that too so you can see what the bra looks like when it`s filthy. Unfortunately, the car has to sit outside in the elements when I post out to the field, so for about 30 hours or so, the Accord has to brave the weather. :-(

Excellent!

I`d like to see the front and side of the car before you put the bra on, then same views after you install. Not concerned with what it looks like with the wax, just want to see how noticable the bra is.

Astro, as in the dog on the Jetson`s or you a Houston baseball fan?

Thanks!

astro13rm
10-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Excellent!

I`d like to see the front and side of the car before you put the bra on, then same views after you install. Not concerned with what it looks like with the wax, just want to see how noticable the bra is.

Astro, as in the dog on the Jetson`s or you a Houston baseball fan?

Thanks!

I`ll do the best I can on the before pictures -- they may not be the exact same...the bra is already on. I`ll take some shots with it on in different lighting conditions so you get an idea.

And "Astro" was originally because I wanted to be an astronaut, but since I voluntarily gave up my pilot slot in the USAF then it`s gonna be a tad hard to do. Now the user name is more of a relic that I keep using. :-)

Ryan314
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Can I ask where you bought your clear bra?

astro13rm
10-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Can I ask where you bought your clear bra?

Auto Trim Design on 10th Avenue South. Phone number (406) 727-1031.

I am very pleased with their work. They aren`t cheap by any means but they do good work and are knowledgeable. I`d say they`d easily get my business again.

Rob Tomlin
10-15-2005, 01:26 PM

Is this serious?

:think: