PDA

View Full Version : I KNOW this is the right way to BUFF OUT smudges/scratches but I have questions!

GRocks10
10-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone,

My sisters car recently got some minor smudges/scratches that she wanted to have removed.. I recommeneded her this body shop by me that does work on cars. They do buffing for great prices.. I went along with her to go get it done. Basically, while watching the guy do the work ( yeah, I made sure to watch to take into notice what is done in the process so I can figure out how to do this myself in the future.. besides taking out scratches, it makes the car look more wet shiney like which is great! ).

Anyhow, this is what I saw being done while asking questions:

Things you need:

water, soap and washing cloth..

size 100 very thin good quality sandpaper

WASH area with cloth with water and soap.. then get sandpaper and put in the water and soap and WASH the area of the scratches..

WAIT for a good 5-10 minutes..

THEN STEP TWO

take the BUFFER and buff the areas with smudges/scratches, etc.

GET a special compound that is like a brown color and another one which I believe is a conditioner that looks white. Put good drops of the brown compound so you can continue to use the buffer.. and then put some of the white stuff later and buff some more.. ( its probably the same type of stuff ).

STEP 3

JUST WASH THE AREAS OF WITH THE SOAP AND WATER AND HOSE OFF..

YOU`RE DONE!

Here is my question: What is the special compound that is like a brown color and the other one being white? And the guy kept saying that he was using size 100 good quality sand paper, where do you get this stuff, how much?

I`m thinking of making a business possibly doing this stuff around my local area.. I know plenty of people who wouldn`t mind getting little scratches out of their car. I wouldn`t mind doing this to my car aswell but you`d be hard press to find much defects on the exterior since I keep it in such great condition.

Thanks for the help!