PDA

View Full Version : Polishing bug etchings

imported_NHBFAN
10-10-2005, 05:06 PM
A friend has an 05 Toyota Van that has bug damage on the hood/gravel pan. He left bugs on for about a month after evacuating for Katrina.

Can that ever be buffed out with a PC? I know initially polishing makes the damage look worse, but if I keep at it can I minimalize the damage?

I tried OTC bug removers and now you can`t even feel cacusus with your fingernail. I know if it pitted the clearcoat you can`t restore it to new ... I`m just trying to make it look better.

travisdecpn
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
You can certainly make them much less noticable. What type of products do you have available to use? I know that for small areas ScratchX can be used. If you have a chemical paint cleaner like AIO or even VM you may want to give those a try first. If you have to use something more abrasive, try something like #80.

imported_NHBFAN
10-10-2005, 05:28 PM
I did try SSR2 and #80 briefly, but wasn`t sure if I should really work it. Afraid it would just get worse.

benpocock
10-11-2005, 12:39 AM
A client had a similar bug issue on an black X5. Clay or #80/polishing pad didn`t touch them. I eventually got them off/out with SSR2.5/cutting pad.

Ben

Accumulator
10-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Yeah, sometimes you have to get pretty aggressive. I had to use PI-III MG/1Z Pro MP on two bug spots on the S8`s hood this summer and they were only on there for four or five days. I sure wouldn`t hesistate to use #80, and it might take a few applicaions or something even more aggressive.

Chubs
10-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Bug etching is areal pain!! Don`t be afraid to use #80 at all. It`s reallly a final polish so you can`t do any damage with it. I`d even try #83 on it with a polish or cutting pad. then step it down to #80 for a final finish. Do you have a rotary or just a PC? Depending on how bad it is a PC might not do it.

Hope this helps,

Brandon