PDA

View Full Version : I may go "old school" on the Red Truck...

05Sleeper
10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I was looking through my cleaning supplies and realized that I have a Bottle of 3M Show-It car wax. Now, I have not found much info on it here, but I do remember liking the wet look it gave to my wife`s white Honda Civic.

Again, I am going to detail my friends 1998 Red S100 Truck, and she likes "the wet look" so I am contemplating using this after AIO, and #7.

Any questions, comments, or concerns are totally appreciated! Thanks! :think:

travisdecpn
10-10-2005, 02:33 PM
If you have it, use it. The AIO will provide a decent amount of protection and as long as you put the time into the prep any wax or sealant will look great.

Accumulator
10-11-2005, 08:34 AM
I go old-school fairly often, it`s my preferred approach when complete marring removal (and keeping it that way ;) ) isn`t feasible.

I wouldn`t mix the AIO/#7 though, the AIO would clean off the #7 if you used the #7 first and I don`t see #7 bonding to the AIO if you did it in that order.

I`d probably do a light polishing with something mildy abrasive, then the #7, then the wax.

imported_flatstick
10-11-2005, 04:18 PM
I go old-school fairly often, it`s my preferred approach when complete marring removal (and keeping it that way ;) ) isn`t feasible.

I wouldn`t mix the AIO/#7 though, the AIO would clean off the #7 if you used the #7 first and I don`t see #7 bonding to the AIO if you did it in that order.

I`d probably do a light polishing with something mildy abrasive, then the #7, then the wax.

I would agree with this approach for the most part , use a mild abrasive but I would use AIO then a wax. I have a red 92 Chevy K-1500 pickup and this type of combo has many people asking me what I used on it, a little ole school little bling, bling, the AIO on my Chevy red is killer on it but that is JMO

Accumulator
10-12-2005, 10:13 AM
flatstick- OK, you know what works best for you :xyxthumbs

Here`s an idea along those lines- on vehicles where you`re not gonna get all the marring out, try Autoglym`s SRP in place of AIO. I find the SRP hides marring better than AIO and it also seems to offer a little more protection. I found that sometimes AIO made light marring *more* noticeable, but the SRP made it less so. Just an idea, but again, you know what works for you.

imported_flatstick
10-12-2005, 10:29 AM
flatstick- OK, you know what works best for you :xyxthumbs

Here`s an idea along those lines- on vehicles where you`re not gonna get all the marring out, try Autoglym`s SRP in place of AIO. I find the SRP hides marring better than AIO and it also seems to offer a little more protection. I found that sometimes AIO made light marring *more* noticeable, but the SRP made it less so. Just an idea, but again, you know what works for you.

Sounds like a good idea to try, was just offering my products that I have used for for my truck. have to admit that mine does not have much maring at all. the AIO looks great on the red when the finish is clear and lacks lots of blemishes. will have to keep this in mind if I am doing a car or truck where there is more the marring that is not going to be removed. once again the power of Autopia and idea from a member to tuck away in the memory banks for future use. Accumulator even though this is not my thread I appreciate your wisdom in giving the poster another option that may well turn out to be better for them. :woohoo: