PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up For BMW NAPA Leather Seats - What To Use?

imported_SilverStallion
10-10-2005, 08:53 AM
My parents have a 330 i M Sport Cabirolet Individual Edition, and on the side bolster, where my dad rubs getting in and out, there is a small mark forming where it is discolouring. The seats are very light as shown in the pic of the interior below. Is there any type of creame or polish that I can use to help keep the seat looking perfect? I thought of perhaps using a shoe product?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The seats are well maintained with Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner as needed.

http://images8.fotki.com/v127/photos/5/50728/1520363/DSC01187-vi.jpg

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

~Darren

LightngSVT
10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Good question!!! I was wondering the same thing, as I have a small spot like that on the stiching of my M3 where the color has worn off (maybe about 3/4" x 1/8").

jeff5614
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
I asked a very simliar question a week or so ago and was referred to a link that basically said to find a good upholsterer. So, I`m still kind of wondering too.

imported_SilverStallion
10-10-2005, 11:24 AM
I am checking into various Tana and Tannery products - I will let you know guys. I thought a professional on Autopia may have some words of guidance other than the obvious, replacement. This is obviously a common problem as this Cab. only has 8,000 pampered kilometers, and the top is never left down for the sun to dry out the leather.

Any other input gents.

~Darren

Bobby G
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Can you get a close up pic of what you`re talking about?

imported_SilverStallion
10-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Can you get a close up pic of what you`re talking about?

Here is the bolster of concern.

http://images15.fotki.com/v230/photos/5/50728/221478/DSC02621-vi.jpg

It is as though the colour/finish has been wiped off. I thought it was dirt at first, yet diappointingly, not so. I know if I get a mark on my leather dress shoes, shoe cream, set up, and buff and I am fine. The same goes for my leather jacket. Is there such a solution for high end leather seats?

It would have the same type of leather that that the M3 has, so any suggestion would be valuable for a few of us here, as long as we were able to secure a colour match.

Thanks for the input guys.

~Darren

jeff5614
10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Same problem as mine.

imported_Kraig
10-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Pretty common on E46`s, maybe others. It gets much worse.

ProTouchNJ
10-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi everyone,

The problem with the seats is a common one with BMW - the answer is not necessarily one of replacement - if you can find a GOOD leather repair vendor. A good one will top the color coat of the seat with a semi-gloss or matte finish clear and it will hold much better than if they did not. In order to keep this from happening again you can A) adjust the side bolsters out a bit so the angle/contour of the bolster is not so pronounced, or B) you can adjust the seat back a bit so it does not get rubbed up against as much when entering/exiting the vehicle. or C) try and take a little more care in entering the seat - instead of just "falling" into the seat and rubbing your body wieght down the bolster try and make a more controllrd landing into the seat ;-) ... it is a very common problem I see with the Sport Seats on these cars. My company does Reconditioning/Detailing for a few BMW Dealerships in NJ - we do about 400 BMW`s a month and I see this a bit. You can try and find a vendor from your local BMW Dealer.

Good Luck!

~Len House

ProTouch Group Inc.

LightngSVT
10-11-2005, 02:08 PM
So basically the fix is to take it to an upholstery shop and have it re-dyed in essence? I am very carefull getting in / out of my car, but Im the 2nd owner.

Asonyexec
10-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I had that same problem with my previous car (older GS). Went through the whole process of having it dyed but it still kept happening, just one of those things you can`t avoid unless you`re extra careful getting in and out. I wore a hole in the leather after a while.

I was advised of the same, find a good leather upholstery shop, which I did. The cost of remolding the seat to avoid rubbing against was about the same as it was to simply replace the leather so I opted out of that one. They replaced the piece with a thicker piece of leather, dyed it, and placed a patch of silicone (clear) on the area that was being rubbed against. The silicone really helped to preserve the new piece of leather and was not very noticeable. The repair lasted for a bit under 2 years then I sold it.

ntoddalbert
10-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I have leather in my E46, never again for this exact reason. The leatherette doesnt have the leather smell but it doesnt wear like leather either. You cant tell them apart by eye.

Not to mention its a heck of a lot cheaper