PDA

View Full Version : Direct Sunlight....if you had to...tips & advise PLEASE!

Pages : [1] 2

cspoly
10-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Morning Everyone,

If you had to do a detail job without any shade options and early morning or later evning are not viable how would you deal with the situation?

I want to do a full detail on my ride before winter shows its ugly face. My schedule at work is making it almost impossible to time a day off and get adequate shelter so I may be forced to do it on the next nice day....in direct sunlight unfortunately.

Any advice? My plan of attach is a washing, a polish with either 83 or 82 to remove some surface scratches and swirls, followed by AIO and SG.

I have 2 cars to deal with. 1 is silver and the other is dark grey metallic. I`m considering buying one of the Ez-Up canopies.

Any advice is greatly appreciatted

Thank you

George

kompressornsc
10-10-2005, 05:05 AM
I do it all the time with PB SSR`s & Zaino. Not a problem. In fact, I don`t think I`ve ever detailed in a covered location-always outisde, probably a few cloudy days but never intentionally in the shade.

tlak
10-10-2005, 05:23 AM
Some products dry fast and they are harder to remove so work in small sections at the time. I do it early at the morning so sun is not directly over my head - cloudy day helps a lot too

:)

Way2SSlow
10-10-2005, 06:05 AM
I havent done it much, but when I have....I work small areas!!! Dont forget to wear sunscreen, and a good pair of sunglasses.

EBPcivicsi
10-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Yep, you`ll need a poorboy`s set up. The Meguiars products will NOT work well if the paint is even remotely warm.

FWIW, IMO this woud be a good barebones PB`s set up.

SSR2.5

SSR1

EX or EX-P

cspoly
10-10-2005, 06:19 AM
How about the Klasse products? If I need to I could forego the 83/82 and deal with the swirls in the sping when I can plan this better

George

EBPcivicsi
10-10-2005, 06:21 AM
How about the Klasse products? If I need to I could forego the 83/82 and deal with the swirls in the sping when I can plan this better

George

IME, the klasse products will not respond well to heat of any kind. IMO, you are just going to have to purchase some more sun friendly products, or find some shade.

GTScott
10-10-2005, 07:04 AM
I have used all of the PB`s stuff in direct sunlight and had great luck. Natty`s is a *bit* tougher in sun but that can be combated by doing smaller areas at a time.

-GT

White95Max
10-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah I`ve used lots of PB`s stuff in the direct sun, and it works well. The only time I had a problem was on a hot (90*F) and humid day in July, working with SSR2.5 on black paint.

I`d grab these products:

SSRs (which one(s) depends on the severity of the swirls)

VM, RMG, or PwC.

EX or Nattys

docker
10-10-2005, 05:50 PM
IME, the klasse products will not respond well to heat of any kind. IMO, you are just going to have to purchase some more sun friendly products, or find some shade.

But since the Klasse twins are wipe on, wipe off then does it really matter if in direct sun or not, as long as the car surface isn`t too hot?

wash-girl
10-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Keep in mind your location. Even in direct sunlight, it`s unlikely to be 90s and humid in Brooklyn this time of year.

If you have already invested in the AIO & SG, I think you should be able to pull it off without a problem. Nattys or S100 might be a little easier, but I doubt you`ll be subject to the kind of heat that will make a huge difference in the work time of your products.

EBPcivicsi
10-11-2005, 06:52 AM
But since the Klasse twins are wipe on, wipe off then does it really matter if in direct sun or not, as long as the car surface isn`t too hot?

IMO, even of the surface is warm, it will gum up and be difficult to remove. Maybe it`s just me, but anytime I have tried on a slightly warm surface I have had problems.

Give it a try, but I don`t think that the products will rspond well to heat.

Even if it is 70 degrees or so, the paint, in full sun will be quite warm to the touch.

DJ Trackie
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Chemical GUy`s stuff is formulated to work in direct sunlight

marko
10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
outside in the sun is my preference and pretty much dictates my products. lately I`ve been really pleased with optimum polish and compound in direct sun or under any conditions for that matter. pb ssr`s are great outside. I throw some towels over sections before I work them just to pacify my surface temperature paranoia, but otherwise, no worries.

Detailer 4 Life
10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
meguiars products were never able to produce a great quality finish in the sunlight. i always had to use more qd and less product and very small sections for it to come off easy..

my chemical guys stuff is extremely effective in sunlight and zaino is as well.. i also find eagle one nano wax, and malco`s flash wax is good in sunlight as well... however this is not to say they are the best product i personally like chemical guys the best in sunlight however i think eagle one nano wax might surprise a lot of you guys when done in comparison to some of your top supplies. although the shine is amazing with nano it dosnt last very long imo.