PDA

View Full Version : Automotive glass cleaner damages coatings on computer monitors, eye glasses?

ktlimq
10-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Do automotive glass cleaners damage

anti glare coatings on CRT, or LCD computer monitors,

anti glare coatings on CRT, LCD, or PDP TV’s, or

UV filter coatings on eye glasses?

DCT
10-09-2005, 04:11 PM
If the glass cleaner is ammonia free (most good automotive glass cleaners are), there shouldn`t be a problem. However, it`s always best to check the owners manual, or contact the manufacturer to be on the safe side.

Mikeman
10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
My monitor manual says "No alcohol or ammonia". I`ve been using 1:60 d-limonene APC for several years now. No problems. This is on a standard CRT.

Mikeman out.

papi_jay
10-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I used eagle 20/20 on mine and wiped with paper towels . Then went town with the vanilla moose and a sueded MF and put a coat of Optimum wax on it . QD`d with Z6 the next day .

All is fine .

Big Leegr
10-10-2005, 04:08 AM
I`ve been told to avoid using anything with ammonia on my glasses (anti-reflection/glare/scratch coating). Actually, I was told this after I brought my glasses back to the optician to have the lenses replaced-I used a foaming cleaner that had some ammonia in it, and the coating "crazed" almost immediately. :(

Way2SSlow
10-10-2005, 06:08 AM
I just got new eye glasses with anti glare coating on them and the dude at Lens Crafters told me to only use the cleaner that they sell. He said that you can get it at Lens Crafters and Wal Mart and a few other places, but he said you can damage it by using anything else.

ddolat
10-10-2005, 07:22 AM
I think it would be wise to use a cleaner without ammonia or alcohol in these circumstances. The Plexus website says products containing the above ingredients can cause certain materials to dry out and discolor over time.